Dead Link Management [Deleted]

First test I did to automatically clean links didn't work properly unfortunately.

Grabbed an error code (500) which gave 3 dead links:
Screenshot 2015-04-13 15.27.19.webp

Tried to replace it with the following:
Code:
[BC=#FFFBCC][mod break: link naar bowen1.home.mindspring.com/mchs/glossary.htm bestaat niet meer][/BC]

It replaced it with Link Removed (ignore the orange highlight, this is done by the browser whilst searching for 'Link removed'.
Screenshot 2015-04-13 15.32.04.webp

So basically it did find broken links and did replace these with text. It did not replace it with the text I entered.

I have teste it.

In the settings I have the text in "Text Replace" saved ->
Code:
[BC=#FFFBCC][mod break: link naar bowen1.home.mindspring.com/mchs/glossary.htm bestaat niet meer][/BC]
Then a link is selected from the list and delete these ...
Now see the pics - also the batch process I checked.

Attachments

• Screen-0018.webp
    Screen-0018.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen-0021.webp
    Screen-0021.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen-0022.webp
    Screen-0022.webp
    12.3 KB · Views: 26
Thanks for replying.

I've used the option under cache rebuild. The text filled in the field Replace is not used. Bug?
Screenshot 2015-04-13 17.15.24.webp

This is the link I try to remove
Screenshot 2015-04-13 17.16.02.webp
The link in a message:
Screenshot 2015-04-13 17.15.37.webp

The result
Screenshot 2015-04-13 17.16.31.webp

Will try removing the link via the backend user interface next.

After a challenging start to get the first cache build up, I can finally use the addon. Received some quick updates from its creator.

Everything works as designed it seems with the last version. Love the ability to be able to resolve dead links on my forum.
Excellent to see that a dead link used in more places is recognized / clustered. Unfortunately you cannot change or remove them all at once.
I'm not too happy with the user interface. It takes too many clicks to goto the dead link and remove / change it. This makes it very tedious to go through all your dead links. My forum is more than 10 years old so I have hundreds of dead links.
I'm also not overly happy with the limited possibilities to resolve a dead link. You can change very little in the given logic. If it is only a URL, it will use the replacement text. If there is text with a URL behind it, it will only remove the URL.

My suggestions would be:
  • Show all dead links in one overview where you can use tick boxes to earmark the ones you want to remove or change. Perhaps use a table with indents to show which links are the same.
  • Add the possibility to add a parameter to the replacement text. This parameter should trigger functionality where the first set of characters of the original URL is removed like example below. The remaining text of the URL must be useable in the replacement text as a parameter.
Code:
Remove HTTP(S)://(WWW.)blablayaddayada.lalaland/
so bladieblayaddayadda.lalaland remains

Use it in a replacement text as something like this: The link %parameter% is dead
  • Give the possibility to chose which action needs to be taken when earmark a set of links to remove or change
    • The standard option for a Replace Text
    • The Replace Text with the parameter mentioned above
    • Just remove the URL
    • Give a replacement URL
Hopefully the feedback is useful :)

Last edited:
Took me a while to figure out what went wrong, but found another bug. If a case sensitive URL is used in a message, it is not used to check. It uses the de-capitalized URL which results in a 404 error page.

Code:
URL in message:
http://www.felinefantasy.nl/text-NL/sterrennest/kattebelletjes-zwanger.html

URL checked:
http://www.felinefantasy.nl/text-nl/sterrennest/kattebelletjes-zwanger.html

NL in the original URL - works perfectly fine
nl in the checked URL - does not work

Screenshot 2015-04-13 22.47.10.webp
Screenshot 2015-04-13 22.46.56.webp
Screenshot 2015-04-13 22.48.05.webp

I love the idea of being able to address the problem of dead links. But why on earth make this an admin function?
It would have been much simpler to alert moderators about dead links in their forum and let them check it and edit posts.
I'm pretty sure that this addon would fidn a mass of dead links on my big board and there is no way that I can address all of them alone.
So please consider to add front end functionality for this that alerts moderators about dead links in their forums.

But why on earth make this an admin function?
Yup. This has real potential... and I'm waiting to see what evolves before buying. Running this on my site for the first time would have thousands of dead links, and it worries me a little with the cron running and timing out and such. This seems aimed at smaller forums and seems a little problematic so far on larger communities, based on reading above.

The find and replace needs to run seamlessly, correctly finding relevant bbcode such as dead users or such, and replacing it with what is chosen, instead of removing the link and leaving residual issues, it seems, from reading above comments.

A nice work in progress... that is for sure.

Work on changes - first screenshots

Front End for Mods & Admins Incl. Counter in the Mod bar above 404 error.
improvement the replacement options

etc.

Attachments

• Screen-0026.webp
    Screen-0026.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen-0027.webp
    Screen-0027.webp
    44.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen-0029.webp
    Screen-0029.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen-0030.webp
    Screen-0030.webp
    8.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen-0031.webp
    Screen-0031.webp
    2.7 KB · Views: 28
Looks promising! Hopefully my feedback was helpful ;)

One other thing, which is cosmetic IMHO, I've not been able to see the little icons which should be shown for those authorized on the applicable error code. Setup the authorizations for administrators, but I never see them in a custom UI.X skin, UI.X and the default Xenforo skin.

Looking forward to the update!

Today is (probably) a new version!
- Improvements on the first scan (faster and better)
- Case insensitive URLs
- Front End for mods/admins - inlc. ModBar Info over 404 Errors
- List in the ACP simplified.

Attachments

• Screen-0000.webp
    Screen-0000.webp
    9 KB · Views: 15
au lait updated [by PiX-house.com] Dead Link Management Extended with a new update entry:

Version 1.1

[fixed] Improvements on the first scan (faster and better)
[fixed] find URLs
[add] Front End for mods/admins - inlc. ModBar Info over 404 Errors
[fixed] List in the ACP simplified
[add] DLMURL bbCode - replaces the URL bbCode optimal - And so also allows recurring to the URL BB Code

--- IMPORTANT ---
It is necessary that all data will be deleted (button "delete all data" -> /admin.php?dlm-list/). And then start the "First Run" again....

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hi m8, installed it yesterday and checking things out today. First impression: AWESOME IMPROVEMENT!

The first scan is incredibly fast. Very nice work!
Front end mods/admins is a very nice addition!
Simplification of the ACP list is also well appreciated.
I like the DLMURL BBCode :)

I'll try to test and give as much feedback as possible so you can further improve stuff. Don't get me wrong, the tool is awesome!

First feedback on the scan. I'll try to be as extensive as possible, so you have test cases.
Small bugs or improvements from ACP:
  • When I 'fix' a link somewhere on a Status Code page, it goes back to page 1. If possible stay on the same page after the 'fix'.
  • Please make the displayed URL clickable so you can directly see what the problem / double check
  • Please make it possible to earmark all links in a post so you can immediately do the same action on all links.
  • Nice to have: ability to switch from clustering on Post or on URL. Some URL's are frequently used. By clustering on URL you can immediately 'fix' a bunch of them
  • I miss the possibility to suppress an error message. This was in the previous version.
  • I miss the possibility to replace a link. I have many examples where the URL is changed (remove WWW, new domain etc). Especially useful in Status Code 301.
Small bugs or improvements from Front End:
  • Nice to have: turn on / off Front End system (mainly the Admin bar)
  • I still cannot see the icons, but this is most likely a conflict with another addon. Tried a couple, but cannot figure out which one.
Excellent work m8!

I had tried to make the scan status faster. But this seems to produce too many mistakes! Therefore, it is slowly accurately!
Therefore, I will revert back to the old quary.

The update will come tomorrow.

I can not promise that the other proposals are implemented by then.

No worries m8. The scan should be an occasional thing to do :) I can live with something that goes slower.
I hope my feedback and examples were useful to further improve your add-on.

You have one happy customer here who's eagerly awaiting the new update :)

When I 'fix' a link somewhere on a Status Code page, it goes back to page 1. If possible stay on the same page after the 'fix'.
... this is also what xenforo do in this case in many situations. But - it will be yust better to jump back to the right position. +1 from me :)

Please make it possible to earmark all links in a post so you can immediately do the same action on all links.
I do this with the Mod-Tool and the Inline Mod Panel. Ok, you have more posts as I...

Nice to have: ability to switch from clustering on Post or on URL. Some URL's are frequently used. By clustering on URL you can immediately 'fix' a bunch of them
Absolutly yes. +1

Nice to have: turn on / off Front End system (mainly the Admin bar)
Yes, that would be just fine. +1

• I still cannot see the icons, but this is most likely a conflict with another addon. Tried a couple, but cannot figure out which one.
No problem here and i have realy many add-ons installed. I think when you try out what add-on make the trouble - au lait can do it.

Top Bottom