1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Database read marking limit

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Nick, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

In vBulletin, there is a setting that allows you to set how much time goes by before an unread/unvisited thread is automatically marked as "read".

I'm noticing the same thing here, but the time limit seems very short. I just opened a thread (for the first time) that was originally started on Sunday. I was automatically taken to the first unread post (posted today), which happened to be the 11th post in the thread. So it essentially thought I had read the first 10 posts from Sunday, when in fact, I hadn't.

So is there a time limit and if so, how long is it? Can it be increased to at least 7 days or something so that I'm not being taken to the middle of threads I haven't even started reading?

2. Derek Ivey

Derek Ivey Member

I don't think they are automatically marked as read. It seems to only mark as read when you load the page, atleast that's what I've experienced...

3. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

That wouldn't make sense, because if it wasn't automatically marked as read, the first unread post I should have been taken to should have been the first post in the thread.

4. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

*subscribed*

5. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

IIRC we have it set to ten days right now.

6. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Hm, that's odd. I wonder why posts from Sunday are being marked read then. :confused:

7. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Any upper limit? 30 days, 60 days, ok?

8. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

So there is no thread-specific read logging? That would be great... i know it may takes a few hours to code...
    Or am i wrong another time?

9. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

There is thread specific code, but all threads with no replies posted more recently than ten days ago will be automatically shown as read.

10. cedivad

cedivad Active Member

Ok thank you =)
    A little suggestion: wouldn't be great to be alerted trough the facebook-like popup when someone quotes you?

11. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

12. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Is it possible to make this value longer? Also, you're up early. :p

13. Matt Mecham

Matt Mecham Member

When you have young children, 8am is almost lunch time.

T-889, A.Souali, Dean and 2 others like this.
  14. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

The time zone differences make visiting the site so odd. I'll see Kier go to bed, and then wake up 5 hours later (during which the forums are pretty much dead), and then I'll go to bed. Then when I wake up it's like the site exploded and there's pages and pages of threads that I have to catch up on. :p

15. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I've tried to not sleep or be away too long as then it takes me a good two hours or so to read through them all.

16. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Presumably you marked the forum/all forums read.

17. valdet

valdet Active Member

That is so true..