• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Database naming convention

Ryan Kent

I realize we can name our db anything but was wondering if there was any suggested or commonly used name....Forums? XenForo? XF?

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
It's just down to personal preference really.
There isn't a convention or suggested naming system to use.

Kier

XenForo Developer
Staff member
I've seen forum, xenforo, {sitename}_forums, {sitename}_xenforo, xf_{sitename}... there's really no rules at all, just use what makes sense to you, though I'd recommend using only lowercase letters, numbers and underscores.

Ryan Kent

thanks!

One other db question plz. What permissions do you recommend on the account used by XenForo? I generally prefer to provide the least permissions possible.

Jake Bunce

XenForo moderator
Staff member
thanks!

One other db question plz. What permissions do you recommend on the account used by XenForo? I generally prefer to provide the least permissions possible.
Probably just full access. That's what I use. I haven't seen minimum MySQL permissions listed anywhere.

Normally you would create a separate MySQL user with access only to the xenForo database. The user will have full access but only to that one database.