1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Database for Joomla and Xenforo

Discussion in 'General PHP and MySQL Discussions' started by Innoch, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Innoch

Innoch Member

Hello forum,

I'm a rookie in building website. I do like Joomla and Xenforo. I would like to know if I need to install both of them with same database or I should use different ones? I'm planning to integrate both of them later on, by using a bridge or any other ways.

2. goyo

goyo Member

Any of the options (same or separate) should be fine.

Be warned:
    1. As of today there's still no bridge solution between XF and J!
    2. When choosing hosting: Joomla is much more resource hungry then XF.
    Innoch likes this.
  3. Innoch

Innoch Member

Thank you @goyo ! I have to use CMS+Blog+Forums on one of my sites, I think I have to go for vB at the moment.
  4. You can try http://www.cloudaccess.net which does provide awesome service for XF and Joomla. How do I know because I use them myself.
  5. goyo

goyo Member

If XF out of the the picture (which is shame, because it beats other options when it comes to forums) I would still consider a native Joomla component INSTEAD of vB.
    Namely EasySocial (and EasyDiscuss if you still need a forum...although EasySocial alone should be satisfactory...it really depends what type/kind of community you want to build...)

ps. I've used all the mentioned scripts and their combinations on several sites...I speak from experience...all of the paid and free vB/Joomla bridges require additional hacking and design changes...even then the solution is very resource hungry and doesn't provide a smooth experience for your future users.