Damn you XenForo

I feel the same way... I have to actually ban myself from coming here while I am meant to be working... as I can't stop clicking that damn "What's New" button... lol
I can't stop looking for alerts. That's something you get used to really fast, I'm already missing it on my own site.

XF certainly did a good job of making a forum more addictive, but of course it's also because of the novelty of the whole site, it's quite interesting to follow this project :)

I can't stop looking for alerts. That's something you get used to really fast, I'm already missing it on my own site.

XF certainly did a good job of making a forum more addictive, but of course it's also because of the novelty of the whole site, it's quite interesting to follow this project :)

The alerts are addictive in a good way ... its a pleasure to use XF :)

The community feel that xenforo brings to the table has got to be unrivalled. I've said it a hundred times but it cannot be stated enough the community feel here gets you hooked and you feel part of an ever growing family which just seems to work in a productive manner. Add in devs listening, community collaborating with each other effectively it's a recipe that works extremely well. As well as the devs, the moderators are also doing a great job. I don't think I gave peggy or lawrence the credit they deserve in maintaining order and possible situations that could arise. again, these two add to the positive aspects of xenforo.

with that said, once the product is released I predict an even closer community feel, collaboration when developers, stylers, designers work together in bring products to even better a product I think will be just as amazing as the forum it serves.

The community feel that xenforo brings to the table has got to be unrivalled. I've said it a hundred times but it cannot be stated enough the community feel here gets you hooked and you feel part of an ever growing family which just seems to work in a productive manner. Add in devs listening, community collaborating with each other effectively it's a recipe that works extremely well. As well as the devs, the moderators are also doing a great job. I don't think I gave peggy or lawrence the credit they deserve in maintaining order and possible situations that could arise. again, these two add to the positive aspects of xenforo.

with that said, once the product is released I predict an even closer community feel, collaboration when developers, stylers, designers work together in bring products to even better a product I think will be just as amazing as the forum it serves.

I completely agree. There are so many fantastic products out there; forums, content management systems, ecommerce systems, and so on, but so few of them have a friendly, well-moderated community. Part of me thinks that XenForo has this because everybody is genuinely excited about the product, because let's be honest, content management systems and ecommerce systems have progressed miles beyond the last innovative forum*. Another part of me thinks XenForo has this because we are here at the beginning. Three years down, with XenForo being a successful and popular product, will the community feel the same for a new user (and an old user, for that matter)? I hope so.

XenForo has already become one of my "check regularly" bookmarks that I come back to when I'm supposed to be working.

* Although now is an interesting time, what with the release of Vanilla 2, 'upcoming' changes to bbPress, phpBB3 3.1 and Justin Tadlock developing a WordPress forum plugin using custom post types. Still XenForo has completely won me over!

I completely agree. There are so many fantastic products out there; forums, content management systems, ecommerce systems, and so on, but so few of them have a friendly, well-moderated community. Part of me thinks that XenForo has this because everybody is genuinely excited about the product, because let's be honest, content management systems and ecommerce systems have progressed miles beyond the last innovative forum*. Another part of me thinks XenForo has this because we are here at the beginning. Three years down, with XenForo being a successful and popular product, will the community feel the same for a new user (and an old user, for that matter)? I hope so.

XenForo has already become one of my "check regularly" bookmarks that I come back to when I'm supposed to be working.

* Although now is an interesting time, what with the release of Vanilla 2, 'upcoming' changes to bbPress, phpBB3 3.1 and Justin Tadlock developing a WordPress forum plugin using custom post types. Still XenForo has completely won me over!

I think if the old timers (in 3 years time) can show perseverance, and help the new comers (3 years time) then I feel the retention of that community feel will exist. I've seen in many other forums people get tired of answering the same old support questions and often resort to sarcastic remarks. If this is at a minimum and the old timers can remain helpful to those people then I shouldn't see why not in keeping a community feel here.

I for one don't mind helping anyone if it's within my knowledge to do so and have done for 5 years without it getting boring with the same questions asked by new comers. If you enjoy what you do then I see why not. If you are becoming bored then those type of people should really refrain from responding or leave. Just my opinion but maintaining a community feel and throw in some trust is hard to get, when you do get it you shouldn't let that go as we know trust goes a long way and takes years to build up and can easily be destroyed in weeks/months.

As with you I'm completely won over, from day 1.

I think if the old timers (in 3 years time) can show perseverance, and help the new comers (3 years time) then I feel the retention of that community feel will exist. I've seen in many other forums people get tired of answering the same old support questions and often resort to sarcastic remarks. If this is at a minimum and the old timers can remain helpful to those people then I shouldn't see why not in keeping a community feel here.

I for one don't mind helping anyone if it's within my knowledge to do so and have done for 5 years without it getting boring with the same questions asked by new comers. If you enjoy what you do then I see why not. If you are becoming bored then those type of people should really refrain from responding or leave. Just my opinion but maintaining a community feel and throw in some trust is hard to get, when you do get it you shouldn't let that go as we know trust goes a long way and takes years to build up and can easily be destroyed in weeks/months.

As with you I'm completely won over, from day 1.

We think alike. If someone took the time to ask a question, and you know the answer, answer it. The member (most likely new to the software), will be happy, and more importantly know they can come back here to ask a question without fear of being belittled (sarcasm), or getting the run-around (told to go here, there, or elsewhere).

Really, if you are to going to respond with "trying searching", or "google it", then do not reply to the question at all. Those that want to be helpful will give an actual answer. And as well, in a case where the question was answered before, profide a link to the answer, with a phrase of: more information that you may find helpful can be found here. All that answering a repeated question with "trying searching" will accomplish are search results that return posts that says try searching. No wonder people become fraustrated.

We think alike. If someone took the time to ask a question, and you know the answer, answer it. The member (most likely new to the software), will be happy, and more importantly know they can come back here to ask a question without fear of being belittled (sarcasm), or getting the run-around (told to go here, there, or elsewhere).

Really, if you are to going to respond with "trying searching", or "google it", then do not reply to the question at all. Those that want to be helpful will give an actual answer. And as well, in a case where the question was answered before, profide a link to the answer, with a phrase of: more information that you may find helpful can be found here. All that answering a repeated question with "trying searching" will accomplish are search results that return posts that says try searching. No wonder people become fraustrated.

100% agreed, and I especially wish my moderators did not do the bold part (I've talked to them).

In an ideal world the more frequently asked basic questions could be documented on a forum, possibly a 'Start here' forum. I have been wanting to implement that on our forum (and many other things) but will wait until we switch to xf.

100% agreed, and I especially wish my moderators did not do the bold part (I've talked to them).

In an ideal world the more frequently asked basic questions could be documented on a forum, possibly a 'Start here' forum. I have been wanting to implement that on our forum (and many other things) but will wait until we switch to xf.
Tagging. <3 :)

Hey Vincent, I noticed in your sig XenLanguage, are you going to do an enterprise translator?

Didn't think about that yet, but wow, that would be a good use for that site too yeah :)

I was actually planning on putting actual translations there, but it can be the home of XenForo Enterprice Translator too :)

Didn't think about that yet, but wow, that would be a good use for that site too yeah :)

I was actually planning on putting actual translations there, but it can be the home of XenForo Enterprice Translator too :)
Vincent do you speak italian?

Top Bottom