Custom work?

Saimmi

Hello. I'm pretty much seduced by XenForo at this point, and have decided to purchase a license within the next week or so. I do have one question, nothing particularly dealbreaking, and would appreciate any answers anyone can give me.

At some point in our site's lifespan I can imagine we're going to be looking for a custom add-on or two, and I'm pre-emptively looking for recommendations from the community as to who you trust / endorse. I hear good things about SchmitzIT (based on the thread with 3 pages of glowing feedback), and evidently there are some incredible developers around here based on the available resources. Is it more a case of contacting and asking for a quote, or more just seeing who is available at the time development is needed?

Thanks in advance for any answers. :)

Hello. I'm pretty much seduced by XenForo at this point, and have decided to purchase a license within the next week or so. I do have one question, nothing particularly dealbreaking, and would appreciate any answers anyone can give me.

At some point in our site's lifespan I can imagine we're going to be looking for a custom add-on or two, and I'm pre-emptively looking for recommendations from the community as to who you trust / endorse. I hear good things about SchmitzIT (based on the thread with 3 pages of glowing feedback), and evidently there are some incredible developers around here based on the available resources. Is it more a case of contacting and asking for a quote, or more just seeing who is available at the time development is needed?

You can contact a developer directly and/or you can post a request at the Request area as well.

Chris Deeming
borbole
Syndol
Bobster65
Luke Foreman
Waindigo
Extra License
Cedric

Those are just a few (sorry if i missed any) but there are more who are really good and can be trusted to complete a job to your satisfaction. Not sure any of them are taking on work (i'm sure some may) but you would need to contact them.

This is rather weird. Voyeuristic as it may seem, I've been reading your posts for weeks (reading through the boards, nothing "weird"). Just weird to actually be talking to you now.

You can contact a developer directly and/or you can post a request at the Request area as well.

Good shout! I will bear that in mind, thank you.

Chris Deeming
borbole
Syndol
Bobster65
Luke Foreman
Waindigo
Extra License
Cedric

Those are just a few (sorry if i missed any) but there are more who are really good and can be trusted to complete a job to your satisfaction. Not sure any of them are taking on work (i'm sure some may) but you would need to contact them.

I will be sure to contact them when the time is right, thank you for the list. You are actually someone I was hoping to contact at some point; I've created some graphics ("emoticons", though for a different purpose) and would like to make them into a spritesheet for use in XenForo. Unfortunately I've no idea how to do this. I don't expect to be handheld, but would you happen to have any links / tutorials for doing such a thing? I did find a thing called "Spritesheet Packer" but I'm not too sure if it's worth a shot.

This is rather weird. Voyeuristic as it may seem, I've been reading your posts for weeks (reading through the boards, nothing "weird"). Just weird to actually be talking to you now.

I will be sure to contact them when the time is right, thank you for the list. You are actually someone I was hoping to contact at some point; I've created some graphics ("emoticons", though for a different purpose) and would like to make them into a spritesheet for use in XenForo. Unfortunately I've no idea how to do this. I don't expect to be handheld, but would you happen to have any links / tutorials for doing such a thing? I did find a thing called "Spritesheet Packer" but I'm not too sure if it's worth a shot.

All you would do is simply throw the emoticons onto your canvas (spritesheet) upload the image to server and from the admincp use the spritesheet option in xenforo. There is a coordinate preview feature that displays when you've got the correct coordinates applied so it's very very easy. :)

quick screenshot.

smiley-sprite.webp

My recommends based on acquaintance:

Chris Deeming
borbole
Syndol
Extra License
Cedric

I'd advise contacting direct with plenty of advance notice.
Give a brief outline of the addon you want - no more than 5 lines.
Ask if this addon would interest them
and if so request a place in their queue.

Then talk money and terms.

Always use extreme courtesy. These are the Lords of Code.

All you would do is simply throw the emoticons onto your canvas (spritesheet) upload the image to server and from the admincp use the spritesheet option in xenforo. There is a coordinate preview feature that displays when you've got the correct coordinates applied so it's very very easy. :)

Thank you very much! A much more simple process than I anticipated.

My recommends based on acquaintance:

Chris Deeming
borbole
Syndol
Extra License
Cedric

I'd advise contacting direct with plenty of advance notice.
Give a brief outline of the addon you want - no more than 5 lines.
Ask if this addon would interest them
and if so request a place in their queue.

Then talk money and terms.

Always use extreme courtesy. These are the Lords of Code.

All names I've come to be familiar with thusfar. I think I'll take your advice, I wouldn't want them to think me presumptuous. Thank you very much for your help!

Thank you very much! A much more simple process than I anticipated.

All names I've come to be familiar with thusfar. I think I'll take your advice, I wouldn't want them to think me presumptuous. Thank you very much for your help!

It's very very easy and I'm sure if or when you purchase you won't have any issues with installing your custom spritesheet. If by the offchance that you do there are plenty of people here that will jump in and help if you require any assistance.

And you're welcome. :)

It's very very easy and I'm sure if or when you purchase you won't have any issues with installing your custom spritesheet. If by the offchance that you do there are plenty of people here that will jump in and help if you require any assistance.

I don't have any software that easily generates them, but found http://spritegen.website-performance.org/, which you just upload a .ZIP of your images, answer a few questions and then bingo - you have a spritesheet and the co-ordinates for the images.

I don't have any software that easily generates them, but found http://spritegen.website-performance.org/, which you just upload a .ZIP of your images, answer a few questions and then bingo - you have a spritesheet and the co-ordinates for the images.

I've never really had to generate a spritesheet image since I've been creating any imagery from scratch it's technically a spritesheet when I design in photoshop. Initially it is a sprite for me but more often (for others) who want individual imagery I'll make the slices which are required. But for many years now, life on anything I create can be considered as a spritesheet which btw I ought to really use and take a leaf out of my own book because i'm using individual smilies at this moment in time. :p

spritedemo.webp

Definitely "when". I've spent rather a while looking through various scripts, came down to the usual three-way. vB, IPB and XenForo and XF is the one that got me scrawling "I ♥ U" in my Hello Kitty notepad. In other words, this is the most impressive. Plus hearing the same horror stories I'm sure you've heard about the other two products and their respective companies... ;)

Thank you for the link!

I've never really had to generate a spritesheet image since I've been creating any imagery from scratch it's technically a spritesheet when I design in photoshop. Initially it is a sprite for me but more often (for others) who want individual imagery I'll make the slices which are required. But for many years now, life on anything I create can be considered as a spritesheet which btw I ought to really use and take a leaf out of my own book because i'm using individual smilies at this moment in time. :p

View attachment 45061

I think we could all stand to take our own advice from time to time. :p

Based on the sites I've seen around so far, I don't imagine it'll be a great surprise to learn that I plan on opening a gaming site (they seem quite popular) using XenForo as a platform (extended with some add-ons, naturally). I've created graphics emulating buttons, and figure making them into a spritesheet would be the way to go rather than doing it individually.

Edit: Might as well add; there isn't much I can contribute to the community skills-wise, but a little later on once we're settled into our new home I wouldn't mind "releasing" said graphics to for use in other communities if so desired. Perhaps I'm jumping the gun a little there, though. :)

Top Bottom