Not a bug Custom Thread Fields Data and Thread Move

sip

Affected version
2.X Stable
Do Custom thread fields data gets lost on moving a Thread from source to destination, both of which have the same Custom threads field.
Asking, as found that on moving on thread as a test, the custom fields data is no more there on the destination forum.

I tried even Copying and same thing happens. The custom thread fields data is lost on destination forum. This is when I copy the thread first post with all the custom fields to destination forum. Both forums have same Custom threads assigned.

Thankfully, I did not do Bulk move else all custom thread fields data would have been lost.

Last edited:
You'll probably have just had a couple of alerts from me as I moved this thread from this forum (which uses the Affected version field) to the XFMG bug forum which also has the field.

No data was lost on either move.

If this is something you can test further and double check the field associations, that'd be appreciated.

You'll probably have just had a couple of alerts from me as I moved this thread from this forum (which uses the Affected version field) to the XFMG bug forum which also has the field.

No data was lost on either move.

If this is something you can test further and double check the field associations, that'd be appreciated.
I can give access to my install to check. I am not really sure what to check.
Driven by instinct thankfully I did not do a bulk move else would have lost all the work on 30+ threads.

Yes, I checked filed associations by trying to post a new thread in destination forum. The custom thread fields show n the destination forum.

Should I open a ticket?

In fact, I just now tested creating a copy where source and destination is same.
Even then, the custom threads data was lost on copy thread.

Checked table xf_thread_field_value
It doesn't have any record for a copy of post (with custom thread fields data) created from original (in the same forum as original post).
There are records for the original in the table above.

I have replied to your ticket so we can get login details to confirm this.

However, as I noted on the ticket, the only copy function we have involves copying individual posts. It does not copy any metadata from a thread beyond what you've explicitly set during the copy (title/prefix). Thus, it doesn't copy thread fields, polls/votes or any other data that is associated at the thread level. So in that regard, the only situation where this wouldn't be expected is when moving a thread, but as mentioned, we can't reproduce that. (We move threads with custom fields daily between our open/resolved bug forums.)

Thanks Mike, I have the email and have already created admin access.
But, before updating the ticket with details, I am going through the long winding method of manually creating a backup post before moving the thread.
So far, four went thru fine -- Move Thread route
Next let me see if Move Post (first post in thread which has all custom fields data) results in the loss of custom fields data.

Point on Copy Noted! So won't test that.
Shall keep updated!

Move through Move Post route loses the custom thread fields data. The first post in thread was moved.
Had a backup copy so could restore it quickly.

So the question is: Will Move through Move post, not move the custom fields data?

The logic there is the same as with copy posts -- you're taking actions on individual posts, not the thread itself. You are moving/copying them to an entirely new thread.

The data will be maintained if you move the thread.

Top Bottom