Custom Posts Per Page User Setting

DeltaHF

Best Weekly GIF Winner
While going over XenForo's configuration options, it suddenly occurred to me that users cannot configure their own custom "posts per page" setting, and with only one global default.

Considering I've been using vBulletin for about 10 years now, I know some my users are going to be absolutely livid when they realize they can no longer change this on their own. :unsure:

I'd like to see it in XF soon.

Upvote 15
Not necessarily, Brogan. XenForo also provides page-independent direct links to posts. Here's the one for the post you used in your example above:

http://xenforo.com/community/posts/251914/

This actually brings up a larger question - why isn't that the permalink offered up by default in all the little widgets? Otherwise, if an administrator changes the default posts-per-page in the control panel, nearly every post permalinks will break.

That could be a pretty serious problem.

I'm well aware of that, but most all users will just copy and paste the URL from the address bar or permalink, and if members have different numbers of posts per page, the links won't work.

Yes, I understand the problems with those page-dependent links, and that a lot of users will simply grab them from the address bar.

What I don't understand is why those anchored links are included in the templates at all, when the page-independent links are already available and guaranteed to work forever - even if the administrator changes the forum's global posts-per-page or if user's individual posts-per-page settings are eventually introduced sometime in the future.

Yes, I understand the problems with those page-dependent links, and that a lot of users will simply grab them from the address bar.

What I don't understand is why those anchored links are included in the templates at all, when the page-independent links are already available and guaranteed to work forever - even if the administrator changes the forum's global posts-per-page or if user's individual posts-per-page settings are eventually introduced sometime in the future.
This. It absolutely makes zero sense the way it is at the moment.

Thanks for commenting, I was surprised to see I was the only one who cared about the very highly fragile nature of XenForo's provided post links (and the lack of interest still concerns me). One thing I've learned from building my community over the last 10 years is that you can never, ever, take something like a post-per-page number for granted over the long term.

Thanks for commenting, I was surprised to see I was the only one who cared about the very highly fragile nature of XenForo's provided post links (and the lack of interest still concerns me). One thing I've learned from building my community over the last 10 years is that you can never, ever, take something like a post-per-page number for granted over the long term.
You're making perfect sense so I had to agree :)

I can't understand why this wouldn't use the posts links unless it's something very specific to do with Search Engine Optimisation.

Some of our users kicked up a stink about this, but came round in the end. When someone says "check my previous post on page 2" it means the same thing for everybody. This is a strong benefit IME.

I don't see that as beneficial in any way, and rarely have I seen anyone in a forum reference their previous posts without a quote or direct link.

Regardless of your thoughts on individual post-per-page settings, there is still no good reason for XenForo to provide users with what the software describes as a "permalink" to an individual post when it is not. It only takes one simple change of the global posts-per-page setting in the administrator's control panel and the majority of those links will be broken.

The fix is simple - offer the actual, page-independent link in the template that XenForo already provides. It's a change I will be making in my own custom templates.

The fix is simple - offer the actual, page-independent link in the template that XenForo already provides. It's a change I will be making in my own custom templates.

so you have a way to offer a post count per page for your users? Are you willing to share your method of implementing it? I'm having users complain over not being able to alter posts per page.

No, I was talking about editing the default post permalink - a discussion which has de-railed the topic. I don't run XenForo on an active site yet and have not edited the templates yet.

I am really appalled that XenForo went with pages instead of /start=20 or something. The end result is, they can never provide an option to users to set # of posts per page. Huge oversight.

I am really appalled that XenForo went with pages instead of /start=20 or something. The end result is, they can never provide an option to users to set # of posts per page. Huge oversight.
Strong words for something relatively trivial.

I couldn't disagree more.

Strong words for something relatively trivial.

I couldn't disagree more.
It's a feature built into every other forum product. vB, IPB, phpBB, SMF, need I go on?

Some people want 20 posts per page. Some want 100. XenForo is engineered in such a way that this can NEVER be a user option. FAIL.

I'm not sure about it NEVER being a user option. Sonnb has made a live threads feature which continually allows posts to updated via the same page. I'm quite sure if he can this, then a posts per page feature can be added.

I've never had an issue or user complain on any forum software about the posts per page. (most being between 20-30 posts)

I've had ecommerce sites where I'd get at least 3-4 users complain about not being able to set at least 50 products per page... but that's really different...

I agree with Chris on this. It's trivial.

Furhman also has a read/write database tutorial in the resources section. I am able to limit anything on a page. So again, not impossible. Just need the right person to make the mod, if enough people want/need it.

Just because every other forum product do it like that, doesn't mean it's the right way.

And it's no accident, either. It's been deliberately engineered like that for a number of reasons. And I think those benefits outweigh the "FAIL" as you so put it.

My suggestion would be to agree with your colleagues and members a happy medium of posts per page then stick to that. We were on vBulletin for 9 years with many veteran members also querying how to change posts per page. We decided on 40 posts per page and it was a non-issue. The happy medium worked and it hasn't been mentioned since. Everyone is happy.

Top Bottom