Custom Posts Per Page User Setting

DeltaHF

While going over XenForo's configuration options, it suddenly occurred to me that users cannot configure their own custom "posts per page" setting, and with only one global default.

Considering I've been using vBulletin for about 10 years now, I know some my users are going to be absolutely livid when they realize they can no longer change this on their own. :unsure:

I'd like to see it in XF soon.

Upvote 15
Just completed my forum migration last night from VB4.x and this is the first thing users started asking about. I didn't even realize it wasn't something that was in the settings.

Some admins would like to set it to less, not more. Video-heavy pages are a disaster to load already at the default number of posts per page.

People will get over it. XF allows you to use media much better so having a 100 post/page setting actually causes a lot of problems IMO.

It's been 13 months and my users are NOT over it yet. I ran my large forum giving my users the option of 100 post/page for over 10 years without one problem.

The linking issue needs to be resolved on the core level, I don't think addons can get by that without making potentially problematic far-reaching alterations. I would hope that this has been addressed in XF2, but I don't really know. If the whole broken "permalinks" (which aren't) concept has been carried over to XF2 without correction, then the chances of this getting fixed later on are probably nill.

Thanks, I was aware of the first link but not the second one, still would like to see it in the core as not to potentially cause bigger problems. My users were pretty good about linking to actual posts instead of a particular page.

The linking issue needs to be resolved on the core level, I don't think addons can get by that without making potentially problematic far-reaching alterations. I would hope that this has been addressed in XF2, but I don't really know. If the whole broken "permalinks" (which aren't) concept has been carried over to XF2 without correction, then the chances of this getting fixed later on are probably nill.
I agree

It's something that's been resolved by other forum software ages ago, really, not exactly rocket science.
Scrolling back a few pages, I must have missed this comment. Can you show me an example of how this has been fixed?

I keep thinking there has to be a way to get the best of both worlds, default X posts/page for public/visitor/search engines and another way of doing it for linking in the instance where you would grab the URL out of the address bar and have it not link to a hard-coded page, but based on a few dev comments within this thread it seems like this might actually not be possible without limiting something else, and maybe that's why it hasn't been done in XF.

Every forum software that I know of except XenForo has handed this in a way that changing it doesn't break links, several examples have been listed in this thread already, just read back. We've discussed it a year ago on the previous page...

Ok so maybe what needs further explanation is why it needs to be done the way it currently is in order for "canonical links" to work properly. I don't understand the jargon but I can follow logic and reason if it is explained well enough.

If so many other forum engines are able to do it, then the "just because they can doesn't mean it's right" argument pops in, and this requires (for me) additional explanation, and it's likely the same reason as will be explained above.

Basically lay it out for us in laymen's terms please @Kier @Brogan @Mike or anyone else that understands exactly how link structure and SEO ties into page numbering/etc. Isn't there a way where a link can contain information pertinent for default / visitor SEO so that it can be used in that manner without conflict, and yet also be interpreted by the forum software such that it understands when to interpret a link target according to the logged in user's preference?

Hmm ... with XF 2.2 there could be a way to solve this:
XF 2.2 does use a service worker, eg. JS that can intercept any request before it is being sent to the server.
The service worker does get the URL fragment (eg. #post-1234), the server does not receive this information.

So the idea would be for the service-worker to detect this URL fragment, upon receiving a response from the server check if the HTTP response code is 200 .
If it is and the post with that ID is not on the page, it could request /posts/1234 instead.

So basically this would give the URL fragment post ID precendence over thread id and page number.

Last edited:
Top Bottom