XF 1.5 Custom Post Field or Tags?

TheLaw

XF 1.5 is pretty exciting and lots of neat new things I keep on discovering. I need something simple and not sure the way to go about it - whether internally able to be set up or an add-on. With every post I need users to be required to add an extra field - like a prefix - but I'm already using prefixes once and this is an attribute, not a prefix. For example, I have a car site and the first post starting each thread must include one selection from a predetermined list of cars. The list can be available globally to all forums and can be turned on or off. Ideally threads could also be searched using this field but not necessary. So... the options are:

I remember that tags could now have a predetermined list, which would work just fine, e.g. type in your car make and, as the site owner, I would have a list of approved tags and the new thread requires only one tag (not more) to be added.

The other way was with custom fields - I'm aware they are available by user fields and I think there may also be post/thread custom fields? If that was the case, I could possibly create a required field as a dropdown and done.

If neither of these are practical solutions, I guess it's time for an add-on!

A custom thread field would be ideal, but there isn't support for that out of the box. I think there is an add-on.

I don't think tags are particularly well suited to this, though with some user education they may be able to work, but it's really on the outside of what they're designed to do.

A custom thread field would be ideal, but there isn't support for that out of the box. I think there is an add-on.
I don't think tags are particularly well suited to this, though with some user education they may be able to work, but it's really on the outside of what they're designed to do.
Mike - many thanks for confirming my suspicion that tags are probably not the right direction. There is an add-on for an additional thread data field but there is also a question as to server strain that I read about. But on the bright side, I've also discovered another alternative (using prefixes) that might even be better and more efficient with just a small amount of modification. :)

Top Bottom