1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Fields Categories/Grouping

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Michael, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Michael

Michael Active Member

I think it would be good if we could group or categorise custom fields. For example, if you had several fields related to computer hardware, they wouldn't really fit in so well under Personal Details and being able to have a category called "Computer Hardware" and then have CPU, RAM and so on for the fields under it would work really well.

Hope people like this as I believe it is a good suggestion, what do you think? :)

Sorry if suggested before, I haven't seen one though yet.

wedgar, Sunka, PrettyPixels and 14 others like this.
  2. Omri.L

Omri.L Active Member

Great idea!

3. John L.

John L. Well-Known Member

Was just about to suggest this, glad I searched. It would be great if you move the group to a new tab as well in profile :).

Michael likes this.
  4. Mutt

Mutt Well-Known Member

for custom user fields I would like custom Display Locations or categories. basically I'd like some way to group the custom user fields beyond Personal, Contact, & Preferences.

for example, on the edit personal details page

the first group is status message
    then is avatar & custom title
    then it's gender & birth
    then it's EVERYTHING ELSE
    then it's about you which allows BBCode

though I can sort EVERYTHING ELSE, I can't group them & insert breaks.

Michael likes this.
  5. Mutt

Mutt Well-Known Member

on a side note, I'd like a custom user field option to allow BBCode / insert the editor in that field.

Screenshot_1.jpg

6. Mutt

Mutt Well-Known Member

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I have only just started using the custom user fields and it would be nice to be able to categorise or group them, instead of just having everything lumped together in Personal Details.

Alfa1, egerci, Michael and 1 other person like this.
  8. feldon30

feldon30 Well-Known Member

I would like to see Custom User Profile Fields available EVERYWHERE in XenForo. There are a few templates where this data is just not exposed. There are also a few templates where the data is only provided in serialized format which is not pleasant to unpack. If the user's Custom User Profile Fields could be available globally and in a straightforward array, this would be extremely helpful to doing things like adding Remote Avatar support and other things we'd like to do basically allowing the user to have their own preferences.

Reeve of Shinra likes this.
  9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

In the meantime I've done this, using Mutt's example:

personal-details.PNG

I did also edit the profile page to separate them but I didn't like how it looked.

10. mjda

mjda Active Member

This definitely should be implemented sooner than later. Like + 1!

11. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

If you create a large number of fields and need to apply groups of them to specific nodes, then custom fields become practically unmanageable. Field Groups resolve this problem and make it easy to manage fields.