Custom Email Transport Methods?

Jaxel

So XenForo has these built in options for custom SMTP methods:

1.webp

I myself have been having problems lately with the sheer volume of emails that XenForo sends out. Often I get notices from my server complaining about local relay alerts because I am sending out a ton of emails and a queue has started to handle it all.

So I've been looking at some third party SMTP processors such as Mandrill. My question would be, how easy is it to set up XenForo to use a Mandrill account? Is it as simple as setting up a Mandrill account, setting the SMTP information in the screenshot above, and then calling it a day?

Or is it more complicated than that?

BTW, I use Google Apps to handle incoming emails.

So XenForo has these built in options for custom SMTP methods:

View attachment 64305

I myself have been having problems lately with the sheer volume of emails that XenForo sends out. Often I get notices from my server complaining about local relay alerts because I am sending out a ton of emails and a queue has started to handle it all.

So I've been looking at some third party SMTP processors such as Mandrill. My question would be, how easy is it to set up XenForo to use a Mandrill account? Is it as simple as setting up a Mandrill account, setting the SMTP information in the screenshot above, and then calling it a day?

Or is it more complicated than that?

BTW, I use Google Apps to handle incoming emails.

@xfrocks has created this add on which allows you to use Mandrill to send emails.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/bd-mails.2313/

Yes its just as simple as setting the details up. I manually go through each month to deal with bounces so no need for a add on me at the moment.

Yes its just as simple as setting the details up. I manually go through each month to deal with bounces so no need for a add on me at the moment.
Do you use Mandrill? All you did was edit the email transport method? You didn't install any third party addons?

@Jaxel. I use Mandrill on one of my communities, it's as easy as specifying the SMTP details (Mandrill API Key) and a few minutes messing around on the Mandrill website.

Do you use Mandrill? All you did was edit the email transport method? You didn't install any third party addons?
Thats right as simple as that. Like I said I have to deal with the bounces manually, which I do once a month.

I'm having issues setting it up in XF... Emails are not getting sent...

I've added my website as a registered domain in the mandrill control panel, and set up the DKIM and SPF settings.

Out of interest, how many? Here's mine for an indicative 24 hr period

Code:
Exim statistics from 2014-01-06 01:54:20 to 2014-01-07 01:46:54

Grand total summary
-------------------
                                                                  At least one address
  TOTAL               Volume   Messages Addresses     Hosts      Delayed       Failed
  Delivered           4893KB        800       800        75

Deliveries by transport
-----------------------
                      Volume    Messages
  remote_smtp         4893KB         800

Deliveries per hour (each dot is 4 deliveries)
----------------------------------------------

00-01      8 ..
01-02     11 ..
02-03      3
03-04      2
04-05      4 .
05-06      7 .
06-07      4 .
07-08      8 ..
08-09      1
09-10     64 ................
10-11    141 ...................................
11-12    193 ................................................
12-13     19 ....
13-14     20 .....
14-15     26 ......
15-16     30 .......
16-17     31 .......
17-18     22 .....
18-19     26 ......
19-20     12 ...
20-21     33 ........
21-22     47 ...........
22-23     71 .................
23-24     17 ....

Time spent on the queue: all messages
-------------------------------------

Under   1m      815  99.6%   99.6%
        5m        2   0.2%   99.9%
Over    1d        1   0.1%  100.0%

Hmm... question... I already use Google Apps for my incoming email...

Could I just use Google Apps as my SMTP provider?

I just got mandrill setup and everything is working great, i dont understand why we need this addon? Can you please explain? Thanks.
Maybe because of this feature?
2. Bounce Processing: users with bounced emails will be need to update their email address to get normal access.
I think if you just use the SMTP setup function it will only do it on the mandrill end but this sets their forum account up to require a valid email address to be entered to continue participating in the forum.

Maybe because of this feature?
2. Bounce Processing: users with bounced emails will be need to update their email address to get normal access.
I think if you just use the SMTP setup function it will only do it on the mandrill end but this sets their forum account up to require a valid email address to be entered to continue participating in the forum.
Got it! And thanks!

Top Bottom