Implemented Custom Content Fields

Kintaro

I'm posting this here because the original suggestion @vbresults was about only Custom Thread Fields

Custom Content Fields

Exactly. For half a decade I wished this to be in vBulletin: after all this time I still believe that Custom Thread Fields will make a forum product undeniably more flexible and powerful. Obviously there are much more other uses (as expressed here by Cezz), but I definitely want to use it primarily on my platform to make managing content on XenForo more efficient and effective. Maybe a description like 'Custom Content Fields' is more appropriate by now, because I believe more areas in XenForo could use Custom Fields really. Examples:

-
And another related one where I need the ability to 'mark/flag' content as well for better management of that same content: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ts-for-future-reference-bookmark-center.1472/

I truly hope that XenForo can become the first forum product on the market that can offer it's customers more mature/sophisticated ways to handle/manage the different kind of content-areas that are available.

I think that core Custom Fields for all the contents type are really really needed!
With that in the core, addon developers, will extend it in their addon, but I think we REALLY need it in the core to make it a standard.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
We have basically done this already in XF 2.0 as mentioned here:
As a specific example, both prefixes and custom fields are ideas used in multiple content types and add-ons. Previously, each required effectively duplicating whole files of code with minor changes. These are now built on a generic framework that can be reused for the core functionality, while simultaneously being extendable so specific features can be added where needed.
We still only support custom user fields as standard, but it is all built on an extendable framework so that when we come to implement Resource fields and Gallery fields then it will be a lot easier to do. Similarly if we implement other field types or if an add-on developer wants to implement custom fields into their project, it's now a lot more straight forward and flexible.

For the most part, I feel this suggestion is already implemented.

We have basically done this already in XF 2.0 as mentioned here:

We still only support custom user fields as standard, but it is all built on an extendable framework so that when we come to implement Resource fields and Gallery fields then it will be a lot easier to do. Similarly if we implement other field types or if an add-on developer wants to implement custom fields into their project, it's now a lot more straight forward and flexible.

For the most part, I feel this suggestion is already implemented.
Thank you @Chris D .
Do you think that custom fields for RM and XFMG will be included con v2.0, too?

I'm not sure I totally understand what you're asking. XFRM and XFMG both have custom field support in their current versions.

Well you can't really just say "custom fields everywhere" as a valid/implementable suggestion. The extent that is implementable is a framework to make it easy; to that extent, XF 2.0 has a better framework for this.

Implementing custom fields into a particular content type is always going to involve specific decisions for that type. So if you want custom fields somewhere, even in XF 2.0, you'd really need to make a suggestion requesting a specific location (and a use case).

Well you can't really just say "custom fields everywhere" as a valid/implementable suggestion. The extent that is implementable is a framework to make it easy; to that extent, XF 2.0 has a better framework for this.

Implementing custom fields into a particular content type is always going to involve specific decisions for that type. So if you want custom fields somewhere, even in XF 2.0, you'd really need to make a suggestion requesting a specific location (and a use case).

What I have in mind is the possibility to bind common custom fields between different content types so contents of XFMG can be connected to RM, threads or even posts... and off course add-ons. Maybe creating rules like criteria but for content types?

I know that is a difficult challenge (or not?) but this could unlock a great potential the even IPB with all their years of life doesn't have. Am I right @adonismale ? Maybe you can explain in a better english then mine, as IIRC you're suggesting a similar thing on IPB forum.

Top Bottom