CTA Featured Threads & Portal

CTA Featured Threads & Portal [Paid] 2.17.0

No permission to buy (£40.00)
I would pay a renewal fee to support maintenance and have suggested this.
I don't think I need any more features.

I would be the first to admit my business plan was non-existent and all wrong for this add-on (now).

When it was a simple block of a featured thread it was fine.
The add-on is so much more than that now though.

Although sales have been relatively high, the time spent on developing and supporting it means I haven't even earned minimum wage on it.
Far from it.
That's my own fault and no-one else's though.

Still, we live and learn.

When I write a new portal for XF 2.0, I won't make the same mistakes.

I may even crowd fund it...

Will you be taking a vacation to Hawaii if you start this crowdfunding?

For what is worth am not a big investor of the add-on I´ve only got one copy but I do believe that I´ve gotten more than what I paid for. The continuous support here and on the dedicated site is very good and the product works great out of the box.

The only problems I’ve had with the add-on are ones that I created myself and Brogan helped me with them even thou I think he had no obligation.

A yearly subscription is something I would also be glad to pay.

I don't have a dog in this race but I will say I think part of the problem we're seeing here is that a small percentage of members have a problem with Paul personally, or his personality, and they want to drag it into this subject matter.

Although I have never had a personal issue with Paul myself, I have seen him be rather pompous and short with others so maybe that's part of the issue with some. I think probably the biggest reason for this is he is busy doing the same thing most of us are - juggling 9 balls in the air at the same time between making a living, being a dad (grandad in my case) and trying to be a constructive and productive member of the XF community and also create all the things he creates. I have no doubt I have been pompous, and discourteous or short at times as well. Most of us here are quite stretched in our time and it takes its toll sometimes. Looking at his body of work though, not many of us have room to criticize. Certainly not me. If you think you do, show it or shut up.

Hi Brogan

If threads are updated after mark them as featured, will your addon upgrade it in the portal as well?

The content for featured threads is separate from the thread first post.
That is by design as the featured thread content is stored in a separate table.

If you want to update the content, you will have to update the featured thread.

Where can I find cta-featured-threads-gradient.png? website speed test is reporting it trying to load but broken. I can't find it in any source code or in templates.

It's in the .zip package in the default style directory - styles/default/images

If you use a custom style directory, you will need to copy it to there, along with the other images.

I was excited to learn that Brogan had offered a featured threads addon. I came onboard with this addon just shortly after he added portal features. This attachment was and has always been my concept for featured threads. each thumbnail provides link back to the featured thread (interesting concept). The left/right arrows scroll through identified featured threads. Large right arrow goes to gallery page of fullsize images.

Attachments

• featured threads.webp
    featured threads.webp
    35.9 KB · Views: 20
For those of us using the Widget Framework the addition of an RSS feed for featured threads would be awesome @Brogan. Is this possible to included for a future release?

I was excited to learn that Brogan had offered a featured threads addon. I came onboard with this addon just shortly after he added portal features. This attachment was and has always been my concept for featured threads. each thumbnail provides link back to the featured thread (interesting concept). The left/right arrows scroll through identified featured threads. Large right arrow goes to gallery page of fullsize images.
Personally I wouldn't want this for Featured Threads. I want users to see some text to entice them into reading the rest of the post and thread. An image on its own tells a user nothing about the thread.

If you want to style the slider to remove all text, you can do so.
However, only one slider image is displayed at any time - it's a slider, not a carousel.

I have changed the body height-line of my forum, and the social media icons showing in featured blocks are not aligned any more.

fff.webp
any way to fix this?

Top Bottom