CTA Featured Threads & Portal

CTA Featured Threads & Portal [Paid] 2.17.0

No permission to buy (£40.00)
Hello!
We have a problem with this addon. We use the latest version 2.17.0 and the latest version of XF (1.5.6).
After installation we saw the Link "Feature" left of the edit link in thread-view.
We featured one thread - now the link is missing :(

Can you help us debugging the problem?

For the featured thread, the link will be replaced with Update and Unfeature links.

I have just tested it on an installation running XF 1.5.6 and it works fine.

If it's not working for you then test in a completely unedited default style with all other add-ons disabled and all custom JS removed until you identify the cause of the problem.

The add-on has been fully tested and confirmed working with XF 1.5.6.

Unfort. no option for us. Bummer! 40 GBP for nothing...

The add-on has been fully tested and confirmed working with XF 1.5.6.
I absolutely believe this - and therefor I did not report a bug but asked for helping to debug the issue...

Bummer! 40 GBP for nothing...
What is that supposed to mean?

I responded to your post within 6 minutes and explained the steps you need to take to investigate and resolve it.

I did not report a bug but asked for helping to debug the issue...
If it's not working for you then test in a completely unedited default style with all other add-ons disabled and all custom JS removed until you identify the cause of the problem.

Brogan, the only thing stopping us on a few projects from using this is posting to categories. Is that supported (and Im missing it?) or is it planned to be supported?

A few people have mentioned categories previously but when I queried how it would work and asked for more details, nothing was really provided.

I don't really understand what people mean when they say they want categories.

In Wordpress when making a post you can select a category it goes into (obviously the forum works differently) but something like attached.

Example: We have a 'categories' part inside the ACP for CTA which we can make a list of categories and when you feature a thread you can select a category it goes into. Now when you have the sidebar on your portal it'll list the categories (possibly with how many posts in each that are featured). If you click that category it will list all featured posts within that category.

That is how I vision it as an example, something like that anyway if it was even possible.

Attachments

• Categories.webp
    Categories.webp
    12.6 KB · Views: 7
What is that supposed to mean?
That means that I cannot use this addon. But no big deal :)

I responded to your post within 6 minutes and explained the steps you need to take to investigate and resolve it.
That is great and a perfect response time! But the steps are not possible for us.
I totally believe that in a clean XF it is working like a charme...
But I have to fix it in our forum with all the addons active. I cannot deaktivate addons in a live forum with 3000 users online all the time...

You should NEVER upgrade a production site without first testing on a test site.
Sure. I was not exactly correct at first post: problem did also exist in version 2.16.
After deinstallation & installation the addon worked again - the link "Feature" was displayed. Then we featured one thread - and now the link is unavailable again.
Since a deinstallation/installation of the addon lasts about 1 hour i cannot do this anymore.
But you are absolutely right - always test first!

I found a workaround for us. I can fake the link...
Just copy the URL and add "feature-thread" to the link. :cool:
Not the best solution but the client is happy (y)

You shouldn't have to fudge it like that.

The Feature link should always be available in two places - the thread list and the thread tools dropdown.

There is obviously a conflict with the style or an add-on, which is preventing the link on the thread list from being displayed.

I suspect the link in the thread tools dropdown menu should still be present.

That is how I vision it as an example, something like that anyway if it was even possible.
What would the resulting view be when clicking on a category?
Would it be the portal page filtered on featured threads only in that category, or another view?

What about the URL? Would it be ?/category/? or would it use a query string for the featured threads route?

It's difficult for me to think about adding a feature which I don't understand and have no concept of.

Mike can probably answer it better with how it would function as they do add-ons themselves so I'm not sure how it would work but when clicking on it I guess it would open to domain.com/urlofsomecategoryname/ which then lists all featured threads inside of that category.

- ACP area to add categories
- Sidebar on portal (only) displays categories (not sure if possible to exclude categories if no featured posts are in it so it only shows when there is one)
- Clicking the category takes you to domain.com/category/ which lists all featured threads inside of that category

If the domain.com/category/ is awkward to make then possibly another way to filter it via the URL.

I suspect the link in the thread tools dropdown menu should still be present.
Thank you for the hint!
No - also in the thread-options dropdown there is no feature link.

I only have:
  • /edit
  • /poll/add
  • /delete
  • /move
  • /reply-bans
  • /moderator-actions
There is obviously a conflict with the style or an add-on, which is preventing the link on the thread list from being displayed.
I will try to search for this. Thank you!

Thank you for the hint!
No - also in the thread-options dropdown there is no feature link.

I only have:
  • /edit
  • /poll/add
  • /delete
  • /move
  • /reply-bans
  • /moderator-actions

Have you checked your user/user group permissions? And have you checked the ACP > OPTIONS > CTA FEATURED THREADS > Maximum featured threads?

If he can access the /feature-thread URL and actually feature the thread then it's not a permissions issue.

@Bugfix, check the template modifications are being applied correctly.

That still doesn't explain why the links disappear in the thread list after featuring a single thread though.

Have you checked your user/user group permissions? And have you checked the ACP > OPTIONS > CTA FEATURED THREADS > Maximum featured threads?
Sure. And it was possible to add it one time - so I think it cannot be a permission issue?
Maximum threads in options is 20.

check the template modifications are being applied correctly.
They are all "green". But I will recheck them.

Top Bottom