CTA Featured Threads & Portal

CTA Featured Threads & Portal [Paid] 2.17.0

No permission to buy (£40.00)
@Brogan

No matter what I do I cannot upgrade from 2.8.0 to 2.9.0, every time I get the error:
Code:
Please enter a value using 75 characters or fewer.

Redownloaded the ZIP, and overwrote the files, cleared all caches.

Really love the new features. I can't believe only one guy asked for it coz I am sure I did too. Your rating for this release is Far Exceeded Expectations. :P

That has already been asked a few times.
The XenForo avatar function does not allow avatars to be resized.

@Brogan

No matter what I do I cannot upgrade from 2.8.0 to 2.9.0, every time I get the error:
Code:

Curious.
I'm not sure where that's coming from - I'll have to try and hunt it down.

I have actually upgraded multiple sites and performed several clean installations without an issue so this one's a bit weird.

They're both.

Do you mean the link under the Forums tab?

There is a new SP for that.

View attachment 77128

Ok, I've worked out what is not ideal here. You can have that link enabled or not, but if you have a home page with featured threads (and other text) it would be good if this link was enabled, but instead of going to the home page it went to a featured threads page that wasn't the home page, and was just featured threads - not the home page and not with the other home page content. Is that possible?

I really don't understand what it is you're asking.

The page must be enabled to show featured threads on a page.
When it is there is the option to show the link under the forums tab, or not.

There is then a further option to use the featured threads page as a home page.

it would be good if this link was enabled, but instead of going to the home page it went to a featured threads page that wasn't the home page
Don't enable the home tab option.

@Brogan

Code:

I presume you're not running 1.3?
In which case, it's a phrase length issue as there was a schema change from 1.2. to 1.3, increasing the character length from 75 to 100.

I have sent you 2.9.1 which should resolve it.

If anyone else isn't running 1.3 and has the same error, let me know and I'll send 2.9.1 which should resolve the problem.

I really don't understand what it is you're asking.

I'm not explaining well.

I think there should be two instances of the featured threads page

1. A home page / portal with featured threads, but where you canalso add some text using the templates you've very thoughtfully supplied (as it is now if you have FT as home page)
  2. A dedicated Featured threads page as well, with just the featured threads so it isn't the same as the home page.

Then the Home Link leads to (1) and the Featured threads link leads to (2) instead of also leading to the home page.

I like the featured threads link being there under Forums, but users don't expect that to be a home page link, which it is if you have Home page enabled for FT.

I presume you're not running 1.3?
In which case, it's a phrase length issue as there was a schema change from 1.2. to 1.3, increasing the character length from 75 to 100.

I have sent you 2.9.1 which should resolve it.

If anyone else isn't running 1.3 and has the same error, let me know and I'll send 2.9.1 which should resolve the problem.
Correct, I am on 1.2.x at the moment. Thanks for the update, will try it once it appears in my email.

I'm not explaining well.

I think there should be two instances of the featured threads page

1. A home page / portal with featured threads, but where you canalso add some text using the templates you've very thoughtfully supplied (as it is now if you have FT as home page)
  2. A dedicated Featured threads page as well, with just the featured threads so it isn't the same as the home page.

Then the Home Link leads to (1) and the Featured threads link leads to (2) instead of also leading to the home page.

I like the featured threads link being there under Forums, but users don't expect that to be a home page link, which it is if you have Home page enabled for FT.
That makes no sense.

It's the same page, just set as the index page.

I think you don't really understand how the index page route function works.
All it does is set a specific page as the landing/home page.

You can't have two separate, different instances of the same page.
It's just not possible.

That makes no sense.

It's the same page, just set as the index page.

I think you don't really understand how the index page route function works.
All it does is set a specific page as the landing/home page.

You can't have two separate, different instances of the same page.
It's just not possible.
I think I see what @Mermaid is suggesting - basically two separate Featured Threads pages. The first one would be used as a home page where you could enable the sidebar and add in various things using the custom templates (e.g. widgets from Widget Framework). Then the page that you go when clicking on Featured Threads is one where you could forego these additions and just have the featured threads themselves.

IMHO I don't really think that two pages are needed. Is it really going to bother members that they see the 'extra gubbins' in the custom templates and the sidebar? I think that's probably very unlikely. It's probably unlikely that many members will actually look at the Home page anyway, or the Featured Threads page come to that, going by past experience. That's the whole point of the Featured Threads blocks at the top of the forum page, thread view and new/recent posts pages - to catch those regular members who bypass these pages as they have bookmarked the forum page to get straight into the discussion.

Back
Top Bottom