• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.5 Creating xenForo installation with old database

Hi all,

I had a test installation of a XenForo forum and imported all the data across from my current vBulletin database. However, now I am preparing to put my installation live and I have encountered an error.

I copied my database from my test installation over to the virtual machine I am hosting the my forum on and configured everything ready for installation. However, when I pointed the config.php file to my old database XenForo returned this error message:

Error
You cannot proceed unless all XenForo database tables are removed.

So obviously I cannot install XenForo with an existing database. My question is, if I install XenForo with a blank database, can I then change the config.php file to point to the old database? Will this work?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Did you just copy the database? You need to copy all of the files as well (which would include your avatars and attachments, along with the install "lock" file).

I copied the database only, would copying the rest of the files over remove the error I previously mentioned when installing? And where are these files located please?

Thanks

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
It would remove the error (and prevent other potential errors).

You would copy the entire XenForo installation directory. It will contain the necessary data. You can then modify library/config.php as necessary.