Creating a Tutorial on how to get your first website

xIsabel38

We've all seen a lot of new people here ask about domain names, hosting, how to install a forum, etc...

It's the basic stuff that new comers have difficulty with. We've all been there at one point or another so I am planning on creating a video that demonstrates this to the new people. It's nothing major, and only helpful to first timers, so I was hoping to get more input from others on what should be in the video that way I don't miss something potentially important.

Here's the topics I have so far:
Domain Name- Buying your first Domain name
Hosting- Buying your first host
Private Registration versus Public Registration
Setting up Nameservers
Downloading an FTP Program and setting it up
Setting up your first forum MySQL Database
Using FTP to upload your forum
Installing your first forum after it has been uploaded

These are the main categories I can think of. So is there anything you feel I might have missed?
Should I make it a video or a picture tutorial? Should I talk with voice over in the video or should I use some sort of Song?

Any ideas on best free screen recorder software?

I like the idea but recommend sFTP discussions so they learn a better way to handle file transfers. Simply show the option in FileZilla.

Best of luck.

We've all seen a lot of new people here ask about domain names, hosting, how to install a forum, etc...

It's the basic stuff that new comers have difficulty with. We've all been there at one point or another so I am planning on creating a video that demonstrates this to the new people. It's nothing major, and only helpful to first timers, so I was hoping to get more input from others on what should be in the video that way I don't miss something potentially important.

Here's the topics I have so far:
Domain Name- Buying your first Domain name
Hosting- Buying your first host
Private Registration versus Public Registration
Setting up Nameservers
Downloading an FTP Program and setting it up
Setting up your first forum MySQL Database
Using FTP to upload your forum
Installing your first forum after it has been uploaded

These are the main categories I can think of. So is there anything you feel I might have missed?
Should I make it a video or a picture tutorial? Should I talk with voice over in the video or should I use some sort of Song?

Any ideas on best free screen recorder software?
Very excited :) Good idea :)

Any ideas on best free screen recorder software? -> FastToneCapture works good for me. It's not free though but it is cheap.

If you're going to do it you might as well do it right: http://www.matthewwoodward.co.uk - a lot of good information on there. At the end of the day the more you prepare for your tutorials and the more you research. If you make a better one you're game. Then you use something like BuzzBundle to join into conversions about that and give them the resource that you made.. thats better. Good luck.

Honestly the intention is just to keep it basic. Getting a brand new person that starts with nothing to the point where they have an actual operational forum is really the end goal of this. There is a lot that won't be mentioned as that can make the video take very long and even bring me to areas that I may not know too much about. But I do definitely want to cover the basics so I appreciate all of the responses and I hope to be able to produce an end product that will be helpful, beneficial, but not too boring or long.

It likely will be based on shared hosting as that is what most new comers tend to lean towards and because generally speaking, they can always upgrade as needed.

As for screen recording software you can simply use the same free software that gamers use to stream to Twitch. I used to use fraps monitoring the DWM until that stopped working on Windows 8/8.1. Alot of the good software out there is not "cheap".

OBS or Open Broadcaster Software can be set to save to directly to file (H.264) rather than stream. Its free, no limitations or gimmicks. It will record the whole screen, multiple screens, multiple devices (webcam) as well as system and mic audio.

If you need help let me know. It really isn't obvious at first but after the first setup it will do exactly what you need it to do. The problem with its lack of simplicity is really what makes it extremely capable. You have to add a source and put it in a scene. Streamers usually add a webcam and put it in one spot or another but your scene would likely be your only screen and nothing else.

this is an interesting idea. I just got my first XenForo license and I have no idea how to setup MySQL database for XenForo. I tried looking it up on YouTube but nothing is forum-specific. I look forward to this video.

Top Bottom