1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unmaintained Creating a add-on to insert tabs in profile page (using hooks)

This tutorial will teach you how to insert new tabs in the profile page using the templates hooks.

1. Fuhrmann

Fuhrmann Well-Known Member

Fuhrmann submitted a new resource:

Creating a add-on to insert tabs in profile page (using hooks) (version 1.0) - This tutorial will teach you how to insert new tabs in the profile page using the templates hooks.

Read more about this resource...

2. Fuhrmann

Fuhrmann updated Creating a add-on to insert tabs in profile page (using hooks) with a new update entry:

Creating a add-on to insert tabs in profile page (using hooks) - Part2

Read the rest of this update entry...

3. Fuhrmann

Fuhrmann updated Creating a add-on to insert tabs in profile page (using hooks) with a new update entry:

Creating a add-on to insert tabs in profile page (using hooks) - Part 3

4. Fuhrmann

Creating a add-on to insert tabs in profile page (using hooks) - Part 4

5. Fuhrmann

Creating a add-on to insert tabs in profile page (using hooks) - Part 5

6. Cheesegrits

Cheesegrits Active Member

Thanks for this tutorial.

Is the addon itself available as an installable ZIP? Apologies if I've missed something obvious.

-- hugh

7. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

I don't think so, as it's just an example for tutorial use.

If you need an addon with similar functionality, check out Profile Tab Manager.

8. Cheesegrits

Yup, I realize it's just an example, but it would be very helpful to have the actual complete code available as an installable addon, as it'd make it much easier to grok some of the finer points if I could actually step through the code in xdebug, etc. and not have to rely on me having copied and pasted all the separate chunks into the right place from all 5 of the tutorials.

But thanks for the pointer to the Profile Tab Manager, it may give me the understanding I need.

Basically, I'm needing to create my own little addon, for displaying some user specific data in an extra tab. The data is links to customer's sites, with backend logins, so support staff can easily login to their sites to provide hands on support. The table is on a separate database connection.

So this tutorial gives me about 80% of what I need.

-- hugh

9. Cheesegrits

OK, looks like I can do pretty much what I need with the Profile Tab Manager, so that'll do as a quick and dirty solution for my needs. But I'd still like to create my own "from scratch" addon to do it, just for giggles. And getting my XF dev chops going. Just migrated from vB, and have a few mods I need to re-implement on XF for my main site.

-- hugh

10. tyteen4a03

Just wondering, what mods do you need to reimplement on xf?

11. Cheesegrits

I'll start a conversation with you, so we don't stink up this thread.

-- hugh

12. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

Once this is done on a local machine, what are the steps to package this up for distribution on the XF resource manager? Does an install routine need to be written?

13. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Do you add any tables to the database or modify any pre-existing tables? If not, you really only need to export the add-on file, create a .zip file of that + add-on files and upload it.

14. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Thanks for this Fuhrmann (y)

15. LPH

LPH Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd like to know the steps for when even table modifications are necessary.

16. tyteen4a03

Create an installer, then specify the method in the add-on information page.

Pereira likes this.
  17. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

Just me or does Part 3 not work on this?

• The following error occurred:
      The controller XenForo_ControllerPublic_Member does not define an action called Userslike.

18. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

I think this tutorial is deprecated, since this can now be done much easier with just 2 template modifications.

Steve F likes this.
  19. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

@HWS There are updates to it which are more advanced than the initial page.

20. HWS

HWS Well-Known Member

Nonetheless you should no longer use hooks for anything. Because they are deprecated in XenForo.

Xon likes this.