1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

questions on [part 3] Creating a add-on to insert tabs in profile page (using hooks)

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by typostudy, Apr 20, 2013.

1. typostudy

typostudy Member

I am reading [part 3] Creating a add-on to insert tabs in profile page (using hooks):
    http://xenforo.com/community/thread...nsert-tabs-in-profile-page-using-hooks.21289/

I got serveral questions,

1. Step 5 - Extending the Controller Public - Member

Code:
    $userId = $this->_input->filterSingle('user_id', XenForo_Input::UINT);
    Question:
    user_id is the field in table:xf_user, right? but here it did not connect to DB, how could it get the value of user_id?

2. Step 5 - Extending the Controller Public - Member

Code:
    return $this->responseView(
                'newProfileTab_ViewPublic_Member_UsersLike', 'newProfileTab_ourTab_content',
    array('user' => $user, 'users_likes' => $users_likes)
    Question:
    Is 'newProfileTab_ViewPublic_Member_UsersLike' a view class? where is the declaration of it?

3. Step 7 - Changing our template content

Code:
    data-loadUrl="{xen:link members/userslike, $user}
    Question:
    where can I check the usage of data-loadUrl?

4. Step 7 - Changing our template content

Code:
    <xen:foreach loop="$users_likes" value="$like">
    Question:
    How to use foreach in XenForo?

5. Step 7 - Changing our template content

Code:
    {xen:helper snippet, $like.message, 150}
    Question:
    how to use xen:helper? Is any documentation about it?

2. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

This is passed from a form. $this->_input is an instance of XenForo_Input, which is used for form filtering.

Correct. For responseView calls, this class does not have to exist unless you need to override some built-in functionality (e.g when you need to output XML/JSON instead of HTML)

Search for loadurl in the javascript. The data- prefix hints that it is custom-defined.

Code:
    <xen:foreach loop="$users_likes" value="$like">
    Is the same as
    Code:
    foreach ($users_likes as $like)
    Usage is:
    {xen:helper helperName, argument1, argument2, argument3...}

For a list of helpers, consult the classes under XenForo_Template_Helper.

3. typostudy

typostudy Member

Thanks.

4. typostudy

typostudy Member

when I review this tutorial: [part 3] Creating a add-on to insert tabs in profile page (using hooks):
    http://xenforo.com/community/thread...nsert-tabs-in-profile-page-using-hooks.21289/,
    I got some other questions:

Step 5 - Extending the Controller Public - Member
    Code:
    class newProfileTabs_Extend_ControllerPublic_Member extends XFCP_newProfileTabs_Extend_ControllerPublic_Member
    although it mentioned:
    ,i still did not get it, it seems extend itself, so what inheritance it can get? can anyone give me more info about it?

Code:
    $userId = $this->_input->filterSingle('user_id', XenForo_Input::UINT);
    I know from tyteen4a03 :
    But in template:newProfileTab_ourTab_content, there is no form or input field, such as:
    Code:
    <input type="text" name="user_id">
    so where is the value of user_id from?

Code:
    $user = $this->getHelper('UserProfile')->assertUserProfileValidAndViewable($userId);
    $users_likes =$this->getModelFromCache('newProfileTabs_Model_newProfileModel')->getAllGivenLikesByUser($userId, '10');
    getHelper and getModelFromCache are methods in library\XenForo\Controller.php,
    how could this class (class newProfileTabs_Extend_ControllerPublic_Member extends XFCP_newProfileTabs_Extend_ControllerPublic_Member)
    access the methods in library\XenForo\Controller.php?

Code:
     return $this->responseView(
      'newProfileTab_ViewPublic_Member_UsersLike', 'newProfileTab_ourTab_content',
    array('user' => $user, 'users_likes' => $users_likes)
      );
    In frontend, I want to see what is inside $user? so i put {$user} in template: newProfileTab_ourTab_content, but in frontend, it shows:
    htmlspecialchars() expects parameter 1 to be string...but if i put {$user.username}, it shows correctly:admin, so if I want to see the content in $user, what should I do?

5. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

Using Proxy Classes (the XFCP prefix) allows multiple classes to extend the same class without conflicts. I can type a more detailed explanation if you'd like (the concept is really simple, but a lot of code examples are needed to support my post. Might as well write a full-fledged tut :))

This user_id is fed from the router class. In this case, XenForo_Route_Prefix_Members. An in-depth (but will make you dizzy) tutorial is here: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/creating-a-proper-route-controller.1637/

Class inheritance: newProfileTabs_Extend_ControllerPublic_Member extends XFCP_newProfileTabs_Extend_ControllerPublic_Member (fakeClass), actually extends XenForo_ControllerPublic_Member extends XenForo_ControllerPublic_Abstract extends XenForo_Controller. You're probably stuck at the proxy class bit, but after that it's pretty straightforward - just follow the codes.

$user in most cases stands for a standard user array.

In the Controller, just do a var_dump() on where the $user is fed from.

In the Template, use the dump template helper: {xen:helper dump, $user}

6. typostudy

typostudy Member

tyteen4a03, Thanks, your answers are very helpful!
    I have two more questions about it.
    how to search it in javascript?in frontend, it shows:
    Code:
    data-loadurl="members/admin.1/userslike"
    so a: what is the purpose to use data-loadUrl? b: how does xen:link work?

2. Step 7 - Changing our template content
    Code:
    <xen:username user="{$like}" rich="true" />
    I checked this file: XenForo\Template\Compiler\Tag\Username.php
    Code:
    class XenForo_Template_Compiler_Tag_Username implements XenForo_Template_Compiler_Tag_Interface
    {
        /**
        * Compile the specified tag and return PHP code to handle it.
        * @param XenForo_Template_Compiler The invoking compiler
        * @param string                Name of the tag called
        * @param array                  Attributes for the tag (may be empty)
        * @param array                  Nodes (tags/curlies/text) within this tag (may be empty)
        * @param array                  Compilation options
        * @return string
        */
        public function compile(XenForo_Template_Compiler $compiler, $tag, array $attributes, array $children, array $options)
    a. is $compiler=xen:?
    b. user="{$like}" rich="true" in the array $attributes? if so, why not use this kind of format to pass these parameters: {user:$like, rich:"true"}? otherwise, how could we know parameter: user, rich, belongs to array $attributes or array $children?