XF 1.5 Create custom pages within Xenforo

I've seen sites where they have custom pages without the use of pages. As I'd find this easier to link people and verbally give the url to people. Any idea how to do this?

You can use the Pages feature and then a route filter to change it to a URL without pages/ in it.

This site I'm looking at doesn't use pages as I get (The requested page could not be found.) when inserting it in the URL. Wondering how to use the header and footer to create a custom page, so I'm not limited to only html.

This site I'm looking at doesn't use pages as I get (The requested page could not be found.) when inserting it in the URL. Wondering how to use the header and footer to create a custom page, so I'm not limited to only html.

If you do not want to use the build in pages that come with xenforo, you would need an add-on or custom development to create your own custom pahes.

Can you post here the link to the custom pages that those sites are using?

How did you do your page? I'm looking to put up guild rules just like you did it for my guild...
Jeremy explained above that you can create custom pages using the Pages feature (it's a Page Node) and then using a route filter to change it to a URL without pages/ in it.

Have you looked at this option?

I started to do this but I'm stuck at the "using a route filter to change it to a URL without pages/ in it." part :)

I found this example. This is what I did. I just dont know what to do next.

upload_2015-2-9_20-14-45-png.97878

ACP search for "Route Filters"
Create a route filter, then fill in the URLs as appropriate. Examples are given on that page, but assuming that you have currently named your Page as 'rules' and it is found at yoursite.com/pages/rules/ then you would do this:

upload_2016-10-18_12-8-7.webp

Ok here is the page I created. Did I do it right? What do I do next... I dont want to "see" the node. I want a button in the navbar. Once its pressed it goes to a page laying out our guild rules.

0q3O3OK.png

But what is the purpose of the route filter in this case? I just want to create a single page -- and link to it in the navbar.
The route filter allows you to change the URL. So for example if you created your page, the URL would be yoursite.com/pages/rules/. If you didn't like the fact that /pages/ was in the URL, you could use the route filter to remove it (following my instructions) and the URL would then be yoursite.com/rules/.

Ok here is the page I created. Did I do it right? What do I do next... I dont want to "see" the node. I want a button in the navbar. Once its pressed it goes to a page laying out our guild rules.
If you want a link in the navbar, currently you will need to either add this manually via template edits or, a better option (and one that I use for my About Us page) is to install the Nodes As Tabs add-on which will then allow you to add the link to the nav bar more easily.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/nodes-as-tabs.9/

The devs are aware that a proper navigation manager is needed and this will be coming in XenForo 2.0.

The route filter allows you to change the URL. So for example if you created your page, the URL would be yoursite.com/pages/rules/. If you didn't like the fact that /pages/ was in the URL, you could use the route filter to remove it (following my instructions) and the URL would then be yoursite.com/rules/.

If you want a link in the navbar, currently you will need to either add this manually via template edits or, a better option (and one that I use for my About Us page) is to install the Nodes As Tabs add-on which will then allow you to add the link to the nav bar more easily.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/nodes-as-tabs.9/

The devs are aware that a proper navigation manager is needed and this will be coming in XenForo 2.0.

Thank you for the solid answers ! Well I have Custom Tabs installed. I hear thatwill do it too. https://xenforo.com/community/resources/custom-tabs.4117/

I had that installed... finally I have a use for that add on ;)

This should be SO simple.
It is! Many people have created custom pages with no problems whatsoever.

one thing I dont understand. Why do we need an URL if we are placing the html in the 2nd tab (Template HTML)?
Because every page on the internet requires a URL. That is what you are making when you create a custom page, a unique web page within your site on the internet. As such, it needs to have a URL. So if you give it a URL portion of 'rules', then the page will reside at yoursite.com/rules/

It is easy, but it is not straightforward.

Ok I got my Guild Rules button up but now I have a new dilemma. I deleted the other page but the button still remains on the nav bar. How do I get rid of it?

jyiRHWh.png

As the button in the nav bar was added by the add-on you used, you'll need to post in the discussion thread for that add-on for support with the issue.

Top Bottom