cPanel question - adding domains

D37

So I signed up with a new webhost and this is the first time I have used cPanel. With my other host I used Direct Admin which I really like. In cPanel I'm trying to add more domains to the server.

First way: I go to "Addon Domains" and it turns out that the new domain goes under "www.mysite.com/my2ndsite.com"

So I can visit "www.my2ndsite.com" and "www.mysite.com/my2ndsite.com" to see the 2nd site...

Second way: The second way of adding domains I have is by Web Hosting Manager. I can create a new account for each domain which means I'll have to login to FTP with a different username for each domain. Although the domain won't be under "www.mysite.com/my2ndsite.com" but instead just be under "www.my2ndsite.com"

How should I go about adding domains? first way or second way? I'm thinking first way could be bad for SEO since people can view the site through "www.mysite.com/my2ndsite.com"

Under Addon Domains:

Create an Add-on Domain

New Domain Name:
Subdomain/FTP Username
Document Root
Password
Password Again

You should be able to choose the folder you want it going into it using the document root . This seems to be the easiest way for me.

Under Addon Domains:

Create an Add-on Domain

New Domain Name:
Subdomain/FTP Username
Document Root
Password
Password Again

You should be able to choose the folder you want it going into it using the document root . This seems to be the easiest way for me.
I chose to have for the document root: "/2ndsite.com" instead of "/public_html/2ndsite.com", but the folder is still created under "www.mysite.com/2ndsite.com" I'm confused why it's doing this. In Direct Admin I just login and see all the domain folders, which ARE NOT under a domain folder, but instead on their own.

What to do?

the document root folder can be anything you'd like as far as I know, when you connect to the ftp directly using 2ndsite.com with the username/password you chose in the process it will only show the new blank folder.

the document root folder can be anything you'd like as far as I know, when you connect to the ftp directly using 2ndsite.com with the username/password you chose in the process it will only show the new blank folder.
Yes. I see the blank folder under /my2ndsite.com but when I upload something to it nothing shows up. Although the same folder is under /public_html/my2ndsite.com and when I put something in there it shows up under the site. I'm just really confused as to why cPanel would make new addon domains go under "mysite.com/my2ndsite.com"

Did you set your name servers on the second domain?
Yes. They are set. In the first blank folder I uploaded stuff to it and then visited the site and see nothing. The same folder in "mysite.com/my2ndsite.com" I upload stuff to it and then it appears.... this "mysite.com/my2ndsite.com" is in the "/public_html" folder

Once you Set your name server on second domain (it usually takes 24hrs to get updated) then you can go to cpanel>Domain Manager you should be able to see list of your domains and Add-on text next to it ..Click Add-on and assign it .

Once you Set your name server on second domain (it usually takes 24hrs to get updated) then you can go to cpanel>Domain Manager you should be able to see list of your domains and Add-on text next to it ..Click Add-on and assign it .
The second domains name server is already setup. I went to cPanel and don't see "Domain Manager" anywhere. To add a domain I went to "Addon Domain"
Screen shot 2010-11-18 at 11.06.18 PM.webp

That is all I see to add a domain.

The second way of adding a domain is through the WHM (Web hosting Manager) where I create a new account and this way the domain folder doesn't go under "mysite.com/my2ndsite.com" and instead is a ROOT folder just under "my2ndsite.com"

Screen shot 2010-11-18 at 11.08.05 PM.webp

Since you have WHM i guess that's why you don't have that option in your Cpanel . It's best to use WHM to add another Domain .

Since you have WHM i guess that's why you don't have that option in your Cpanel . It's best to use WHM to add another Domain .
So I should create a new account for each domain in WHM? instead of just logging into cPanel of "mysite.com" then adding "Addon Domains" through cPanel that way which makes the SECOND domain show through "mysite.com/my2ndsite.com"

LOL this is all kind of confusing. With Direct Admin it was much simpler where there is only way to add a second domain to the server and the other added domains weren't under a already existing domain folder...

So I should create a new account for each domain in WHM? instead of just logging into cPanel of "mysite.com" then adding "Addon Domains" through cPanel that way which makes the SECOND domain show through "mysite.com/my2ndsite.com"

LOL this is all kind of confusing. With Direct Admin it was much simpler where there is only way to add a second domain to the server and the other added domains weren't under a already existing domain folder...

Yes are you using Dedicated server ? I guess it's easier from WHM then from cpanel :)

Yes are you using Dedicated server ? I guess it's easier from WHM then from cpanel :)
I'm on shared hosting with www.thiswebhost.com.

It's not a whole lot easier to add domains from WHM. It's kind of more time consuming in the long-term as I have to login to FTP with a different username for each domain instead of being able to login to FTP with one login / pass and seeing all the domain folders.

I'm still confused as to which way I should add a domain.

Adding a domain through WHM makes it so that the domain is a ROOT. Adding a domain through cPanel seems to make the domain under "mysite.com/my2ndsite.com", so in order to see content under "my2ndsite.com" I have to upload to the "mysite.com/my2ndsite.com" folder........

If you use WHM to do a new domain I believe it creates a new cpanel login for that domain. If it's a reseller plan like most which it does seem that way. Once it's added in WHM as a new package just start using mysite2.com/cpanel, should work

I'm on shared hosting with www.thiswebhost.com.

It's not a whole lot easier to add domains from WHM. It's kind of more time consuming in the long-term as I have to login to FTP with a different username for each domain instead of being able to login to FTP with one login / pass and seeing all the domain folders.

I'm still confused as to which way I should add a domain.

Adding a domain through WHM makes it so that the domain is a ROOT. Adding a domain through cPanel seems to make the domain under "mysite.com/my2ndsite.com", so in order to see content under "my2ndsite.com" I have to upload to the "mysite.com/my2ndsite.com" folder........

Do you have Files>Files Manager option in your Cpanel ? If you can see go to File manager >public_html> You can see every Domains folders there you can get inside any of them which has options like upload you can upload anything directly through File manager in .zip then u can unzip over there once upload is done :)

Go for the first option : Adding a domain through WHM makes it so that the domain is a ROOT > If you are trying to build another site . Also each domains has their own Cpanel's assigned if u choosed reseller plan.

If you use WHM to do a new domain I believe it creates a new cpanel login for that domain. If it's a reseller plan like most which it does seem that way. Once it's added in WHM as a new package just start using mysite2.com/cpanel, should work
Yeah they say it can be used as a reseller plan.

Yes it does create a new cPanel login. Visting "mysite2.com/cpanel" does work. But I'm trying to see whether adding a domain through cPanel of "mysite.com" is better or not so that the folder is under "mysite.com/mysite2.com"

Do you have Files>Files Manager option in your Cpanel ? If you can see go to File manager >public_html> You can see every Domains folders there you can get inside any of them which has options like upload you can upload anything directly through File manager in .zip then u can unzip over there once upload is done :)

Go for the first option : Adding a domain through WHM makes it so that the domain is a ROOT > If you are trying to build another site . Also each domains has their own Cpanel's assigned if u choosed reseller plan.
I see the Files>File Manager. When I'm in "mysite.com" cPanel I go to that and view "/public_html" and see "mysite.com" as well as "mysite.com/mysite2.com"

I guess I should go with adding domains through WHM... but I'm not looking to have it as a reseller account.

I just want to figure out this stuff first before I add sites because I don't want to have to move files around to different folders :p

I see the Files>File Manager. When I'm in "mysite.com" cPanel I go to that and view "/public_html" and see "mysite.com" as well as "mysite.com/mysite2.com"

I guess I should go with adding domains through WHM... but I'm not looking to have it as a reseller account.

I just want to figure out this stuff first before I add sites because I don't want to have to move files around to different folders :p

Well creating it as a reseller shouldn't matter i did same with my couples of sites last year which were hosted on dedi servers had no other option there's no difference having them on reseller account or regular account since we own main server so shouldnt matter much .

Well creating it as a reseller shouldn't matter i did same with my couples of sites last year which were hosted on dedi servers had no other option there's no difference having them on reseller account or regular account since we own main server so shouldnt matter much .
I guess it is easier in a sense to add the domain through "mysite.com" cPanel so that all the extra domains I add to the server are available upon logging into FTP once. Whereas adding domains through WHM I have to login to FTP for "mysite2.com" and login again to FTP for "mysite.com"

Top Bottom