cPanel question - adding domains

Adding a domain through WHM makes it so that the domain is a ROOT.
Right. You need to stop thinking WHM and cPanel are interchangeable. They are not. They do two very different things.

You add accounts to WHM. Then you manage those accounts using cPanel. If you want all your sites running from one account, add all the domains in cPanel. If you want your sites running from separate accounts (which you should), set up separate accounts for each domain in WHM.

Why do you want your sites running from separate accounts? Because that's the only way you can individually manage their resource use. You might have one site that uses 100MB of bandwidth and one that uses 10GB or bandwidth. WHM lets you create accounts with different quotas for sites with different needs. Lumping a bunch of sites into one account when you have a tool like WHM at your disposal doesn't make any sense.

Right. You need to stop thinking WHM and cPanel are interchangeable. They are not. They do two very different things.

You add accounts to WHM. Then you manage those accounts using cPanel. If you want all your sites running from one account, add all the domains in cPanel. If you want your sites running from separate accounts (which you should), set up separate accounts for each domain in WHM.

Why do you want your sites running from separate accounts? Because that's the only way you can individually manage their resource use. You might have one site that uses 100MB of bandwidth and one that uses 10GB or bandwidth. WHM lets you create accounts with different quotas for sites with different needs. Lumping a bunch of sites into one account when you have a tool like WHM at your disposal doesn't make any sense.
Ok thanks this clears a bit up for me. I guess in a sense adding a whole bunch of domains through WHM is a bit more time consuming to manage...

Resellers use WHM, "Web Host Manager"

I think its much easier to do it that way as you have the choice of space, etc and its very useful for much more than adding accounts, you can edit passwords if you have forgotton one etc.

the only problem is Domains need hosting. It does look un tidy if you use an addon domain but if its webhosting that is the only option.

Top Bottom