Court case against my hackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, now that it's over can we get some updates? What made it so that it might head to criminal court? What else did they do? What did their parents say or try to do?

I know you've been very careful with what you put so you didn't mess up your case - which was smart! - but now it's over and we want all the juicy details!

Okay, now that it's over can we get some updates? What made it so that it might head to criminal court? What else did they do? What did their parents say or try to do?

I know you've been very careful with what you put so you didn't mess up your case - which was smart! - but now it's over and we want all the juicy details!

At this point, the court order basically allows us the send in the bailiffs to collect the money they owe us.

The evidence has been handed to the police, and as of today the police will be investigating it as a criminal matter. The reasoning for this is they decided to try and bury their heads in the sand by avoiding contact with us. If they had gotten their parents involved from the outset all this could be avoided, however now they are liable for a considerable sum of money and face potential jail time.

Despite knowing our actions, they have continued to hack and deface other sites. Obviously they don't think they will be caught or that we were bluffing. We know some of these sies and will be contacting them over the next few weeks to inform them of our result and the impending criminal charges.

Congrats...

the only thing I would have done differently is ask the judge to require them to take and complete an introduction course to ethical hacking so they can understand what was wrong with their approach to what they were doing and the difference between what they were doing and what an ethical hacker does. Hacking is not a bad thing just like many other things in life... it is about what you choose to do with it. In essence it still boils down to 'you are responsible for your actions and decisions' and no one is exempt.

In this case the people doing the hacking were doing it without consent or good intentions obviously since they avoided you as you stated (obviously not trying to help you secure your site for that reason) so in the least I can say I am happy that it was stopped by whatever means it took.

Again, congrats to you for receiving your justice.

Congrats...

the only thing I would have done differently is ask the judge to require them to take and complete an introduction course to ethical hacking so they can understand what was wrong with their approach to what they were doing and the difference between what they were doing and what an ethical hacker does. Hacking is not a bad thing just like many other things in life... it is about what you choose to do with it. In essence it still boils down to 'you are responsible for your actions and decisions' and no one is exempt.

In this case the people doing the hacking were doing it without consent or good intentions obviously since they avoided you as you stated (obviously not trying to help you secure your site for that reason) so in the least I can say I am happy that it was stopped by whatever means it took.

Again, congrats to you for receiving your justice.

As this was a civil case, correctional judgements cannot be handed out, that will be for the criminal courts to do.

Congratulations on your win, Slavik. Sad they forced your hand like this, rather than fess up to their parents and face the consequences, but that's life.

Congrats, Slavik! :D Excellent outcome!

Just an FYI (and a bit late to the party): in small claims court, at least in the state I live in, you cannot have an attorney represent you in small claims court. If you appeal a small claims decision than yes, you can then retain representation.

One thing I am curious about--since the hackers were being sued, and they didn't appear in court per a summons, wouldn't it be possible that a "show cause" hearing would be scheduled for their failure to appear? If that is the case, and they failed to appear for a show cause hearing, a bench warrant would be issued for their arrest. That is how it works here in the state I live in.

Congrats, Slavik! :D Excellent outcome!

Just an FYI (and a bit late to the party): in small claims court, at least in the state I live in, you cannot have an attorney represent you in small claims court. If you appeal a small claims decision than yes, you can then retain representation.

One thing I am curious about--since the hackers were being sued, and they didn't appear in court per a summons, wouldn't it be possible that a "show cause" hearing would be scheduled for their failure to appear? If that is the case, and they failed to appear for a show cause hearing, a bench warrant would be issued for their arrest. That is how it works here in the state I live in.

Not in the UK. Here you can have a solicitor or lawyer represent you in small claims if you so wish, I had to declare this before the hearing that I would be representing myself.

As for their failure to attend, that is their choice, however by not apearing, it means the Judge basically only listened to my points, and he questioned me thoroughly on the matter, he agreed that even if they were there, my evidence was so compelling that he would probably have found in my favor anyway.

Not in the UK. Here you can have a solicitor or lawyer represent you in small claims if you so wish, I had to declare this before the hearing that I would be representing myself.

Aah, OK. I didn't know how much alike the US and UK court system was. The US court and legal system is based on that of the UK; that's one of the first things you learn when beginning to study law here. :)

As for their failure to attend, that is their choice, however by not apearing, it means the Judge basically only listened to my points, and he questioned me thoroughly on the matter, he agreed that even if they were there, my evidence was so compelling that he would probably have found in my favor anyway.

It may depend on the type of case presented. I know a judge will often rule in the appearing party's favor if the other party fails to show up. In your case, it helped make your case airtight. :D I know that for family law, if the defending party does not appear, the court will set a second "show cause" hearing and the defendant needs to come into court to show cause why they should not be held in contempt of court. Failing to appear for that one usually results in a bench warrant being issued.

We had nearly taken our last landlord to small claims court, but just didn't have the time. Very long story, and we ended up coming out ahead anyway in the end.

Congratulations! This is a prime example of what can be done when you put effort into it and shows all other black hats that the webmaster community will not tolerate hostile actions against their sites and/or services.

Small claims court rules different between states and I'm sure the UK has different rules altogether. In NY, if the defendant does not show up and a default judgment issued - an appeal can be issued and the judge may bring it back to court.

If you do win, the tough part can be collecting.

Through today.

Before District Judge Savage sitting at Worcester Combined Court, The Shirehall, Worcester, WR1 1EQ on 9th February 2012

It is adjudged that

1. The Claimant recover against the First Defendant the sum of £xxxx.xx for debt and interest to date of judgement and £xxxx.xx for costs amounting together to the sum of £xxxxx.xx. It is ordered that the Defendant pay the Claimant the sum of £xxxxx.xx forthwith.

Before District Judge Savage sitting at Worcester Combined Court, The Shirehall, Worcester, WR1 1EQ on 9th February 2012

It is adjudged that

1. The Claimant recover against the Second Defendant the sum of £xxxx.xx for debt and interest to date of judgement and £xxxx.xx for costs amounting together to the sum of £xxxxx.xx. It is ordered that the Defendant pay the Claimant the sum of £xxxxx.xx forthwith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom