1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copyright question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by =MGN=RedEagle, Dec 28, 2014.

1. =MGN=RedEagle

=MGN=RedEagle Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I run some Minecraft servers and I do videos in them. Sometimes pixel art I see in the background as I do my videos are from things like Mario. Can I get in trouble copyright wise if let's say Nintendo were out to get me.
  2. =MGN=RedEagle

I am not creating the art, the users are.
  3. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

I would think that if Nintendo are out to get you you, then they probably could get you for copyright infringement. Most likely you would get a notice to remove the infringinging material rather than being sued immediately.

However most stuff like this is "under the radar" of such companies.
  4. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Well-Known Member

If you're based in the USA you should have a clear easy to find way telling people how to report infringing material for a DMCA takedown request.

To be extra safe you need to spend some money to register an agent (yourself) with the copyright office- http://www.wired.com/2010/10/dmca-righthaven-loophole/

Of course always remember legal advice on the Internet is worth what you pay for it. ;)
    Jeffin likes this.
  5. =MGN=RedEagle

Did that just to be safe. I want to create some disruptive tech and if I disrupt some big business I don't what to have to go back to fix it. Just gonna do things right from the start.