Copyright Infringement Allegations Are Getting Out Of Hand

If I ever want a piece of music, I don't buy it......................nor do I pirate/share it!

I just look at youtube for the official music track/video, then use downloadhelper to download the file and convert it to an mp3 file!

As far as I know, that's not breaking copyright or any laws...but then again, you only have to look at someone wrong these days, or "offend" someone and get in trouble. :p
http://techcomputerscience.com/blog/2012/06/21/google-hunt-mp3-downloader-site-from-youtube/

I don't see why they care, or why they'd take action
Most likely scenario:

[Random media corporation]: Hey Google, we like the money we're making and all, but we heard some people are actually using Youtube to gain our music without giving us money for it. If this continues, you will get less money as well. Or we might just cancel our contracts.
[Google]: On it.

Lol Sador.
Good point though
But don't they get paid for each view anyways (The record labels I mean)
I suppose they do, apparently ads play before/after the music videos, not that I ever see them mind you (Adblock+ = yay)

If I ever want a piece of music, I don't buy it......................nor do I pirate/share it!

I just look at youtube for the official music track/video, then use downloadhelper to download the file and convert it to an mp3 file!

As far as I know, that's not breaking copyright or any laws...

Actually, it is still illegal. The fact the labels upload a vid is meant for promotion purposes, not to allow people to create copies of it. It's also against the terms of YouTube.

Similarly, when you go to a public library, you would also not be sticking to the law if you took a book and simply fotocopied it entirely. Just because it is accessible to the public does not mean it's free game.

The radio argument is also not correct, as in the case of the radio, royalty payments are being made by the radio station.

I really don't like the labels stuffing their pockets over the backs of talented (and sometimes not so taleented) muscisians, but the law is still the law. The way to break the system is by supporting the bands that end up releasing their CDs and songs on their own websites or labels, sidestepping the major companies.

Louis CK Did something similar with the recording of his latest special, which he completely did himself, sold for 5 bucks, and allowed people to do whatever they wanted with it after (which included throwing it on the torrents and YoutTbe) and he made a cool million (and more) because of it. It's stuff like that that really shows that people are willing to support an artist if the price and terms are right.

Louis CK Did something similar with the recording of his latest special, which he completely did himself, sold for 5 bucks, and allowed people to do whatever they wanted with it after (which included throwing it on the torrents and YoutTbe) and he made a cool million (and more) because of it. It's stuff like that that really shows that people are willing to support an artist if the price and terms are right.
He is not the only one, Radiohead released an album free to download, Nine Inch Nails have released more than one free album. Nine Inch Nails even set up a shop around the album, selling extras like artwork PDF's etc etc. If you want to support artists, you can buy your music from CdBaby. There aren't many (probably not any) signed artists there, but still allot of good music (I have bought more than one album from them).

As far as I know, that's not breaking copyright or any laws...but then again, you only have to look at someone wrong these days, or "offend" someone and get in trouble. :p
Yeah, that's illegal too.

The radio argument is also not correct, as in the case of the radio, royalty payments are being made by the radio station.

The same could be said of Youtube though, as you usually? get an advert playing before the song, plus they probably get adview payments etc to.

Yea I think that's the root of the problem, perhaps on both sides...is greed.
I remember ages back, before digital downloads, the record companies said the reason cd's were expensive in the shops, was due to the packaging/production of the physical media/material and then having it sit on a shop shelf
Fast forward to the digital age, the prices are the same in the Virtual store, as the physical one.
With all the millions? they must have spent and be spending on ways to shut down websites like Piratebay and with all the feedback they must get and read, you'd think they'd change the pricing structure of music
But no, greed reigns supreme.
I'm not saying that's an "excuse" to download (steal) someone's work though.

Top Bottom