Lack of interest Copy Thread Functionality

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

RobNH

So, over the course of the last month, I've moved three of my forum websites from vBulletin 4.x to xenForo. Now that I've worked with xenForo enough, I've gotten used to the differences between the two platforms and xenForo has all my love now. BUT...

For the love of God, please do something about making the copy thread functionality more intuitive!!!

The fact that you can't copy an entire thread from one node to another, and only certain posts, is ridiculous. The Copy Thread functionality should be just as easy to access as the Move Thread option.

Please please please...I'm begging the developers....do something about this for the next release! 🙏🙏🙏

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Why do you need to have two identical threads, with all of the replies, in different forums?

What is the use case?

Oh. Sorry, I misunderstood.

Sometimes the thread content is applicable to two different forums. For example:

I own and operate three automotive website communities. I have forums set up for various generation years. Example: 2005 - 2013, 2014 - 2019, 2020+

I often post automotive service bulletins to those different forums. A service bulletin can span two - three different generations. So when I create a thread with that Service Bulletin content in one forum, sometimes that same thread needs to be shared across two other forums. A lot of members who own an automobile from one generation only visit those particular forums. So if I post the thread in the 2020+ forum and not copy it to the other forums, the members of those forums won't see that service bulletin because they have no need or interest in the 2020+ forum.

Hopefully, that's understandable and not too long-winded. LOL

Do these threads have more than a handful of posts in each one?

Can't you just use the "Select all" function on the mod bar?

@RobNH when moving a thread there's an option for "Leave a permanent redirect". Instead of duplicating threads and having two separate states of the same thread, you can have a link to the thread instead in that forum.

The problem with that is the redirect will eventually drop off the first page and won't be bumped up with new posts.

Personally I'd probably go with a notice or link forum to a single thread.

I don’t understand. If you were to copy a thread to a different forum, even though it starts out being a copy, as soon as people reply to each thread then they will become different threads about the same topic.

You can use the new Search Forums function, I would think. Set up a SF for these bulletins and pull the various criteria.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Why do you need to have two identical threads, with all of the replies, in different forums?

What is the use case?
because XenForo does not have Announcements like vbulletin 4.x did, so the alternative is top copy a thread to other forums, stick and close it.

There is also this add-on.

Copy post already exists. Since you said you are going to close the duplicate I can assume you don't need all the the replies, but if you want one of them copy it as well. Copy thread does not exist, copy post does. And you can copy as many as you want.

I really miss this option from vbulletin too. I use it for moderation - copy the thread into the moderator forum for discussion, then edit the problem posts out of the original.

I can't believe how many people want to argue about whether the OP should want to copy a thread. I mean, if they want to then they want to

Top Bottom