XF 1.4 Copy/paste attachment to different thread

BentDreams

I have an interesting use case pop up on my forum today that I think is a useability bug...

The user embedded a picture as an attachment to a post in a thread they maintain as sort of a blog.

The files are uploaded to my server as actual attachments vs being linked from another site.

Today he wanted to post one of his pictures in another thread so he highlighted the photo and then "copied" it and then pasted it into a post in a different thread.

In the new thread the pictures did not display in the actual post, but instead show an icon for a picture with a red x on it.

If you reply you can actually see the pictures in the reply pop up but the disappear again after you finish your post quoting theirs.

Looking at the code view of the post editor, what you see is the URL for the attachment in the Xenforo system surrounded by img bbcode tags.

I'm going to attempt to give you an example here:

Screenshot 2015-07-06 21.11.17.webp

When someone choose to embed an attachment like that, they rely on it being viewable to whoever is loading the page. Normally, attachments aren't viewable by guests, so if a guest views the page, they'll see a broken image. This is expected; you can allow guests to view attachments if you prefer.

If you're using the image proxy, the image may be displayed through the proxy (depending on a few different things). In this case, the proxy is always accessing the image as a guest, even if the person viewing the page is logged in.

When someone choose to embed an attachment like that, they rely on it being viewable to whoever is loading the page. Normally, attachments aren't viewable by guests, so if a guest views the page, they'll see a broken image. This is expected; you can allow guests to view attachments if you prefer.

If you're using the image proxy, the image may be displayed through the proxy (depending on a few different things). In this case, the proxy is always accessing the image as a guest, even if the person viewing the page is logged in.
This image was a direct attachment into the systems storage, not proxied.

Also, I'm not seeing that behavior of the proxy always displaying an image with guest permissions in my forum. I recently enabled the image proxy and it has help performance quite a bit, but guests cannot view any thread content on my forum and the proxy is working fine displaying images to my members.

We'll need access to an account to be able to see the thread content. It would likely be most straightforward to submit this via a ticket (see link in sig).

Top Bottom