Convert vB4 to xF

WhatChaMissin

Congrats on your victory xF and to help celebrate I will be taking advantage of your upcoming sale and snatching up a license :D.

I just need to have a couple of questions answered.

• Does xF come with a converter? If not can someone recommend one?
  • I currently have a vB 4.2 Suite with active blogs and deactivated CMS. How will the blogs be converted?
  • Will forum and user permissions carry over?
  • Once converted will members have to reset their passwords?
  • What will happen with groups?
  • Is there an Arcade, project tool, Blogs, CMS, Links Directory, Downloader, addons available?
  • How hard is it to create custom pages?
  • What are some recommended/useful addons?
Thanks in advance for your assistance and cheers (y)

EDIT: My apologies for being so vague on the Downloader; this is what I was previously using on my vB4 site

Downloads II
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=120122
DownloadsII is a download database that integrates into vBulletin. It allows you to upload files, add images to them, create categories, link to external files - and more.

- Custom Pages are very easy to create. A little html css knowledge is required but if you run into trouble the community will help supporting any issues you have.
- Kevin has an arcade here. Omniua has a blog here. you would need to chat to him about importing though i'm sure it can be done. Downloader? If you mean to house resources and such the RM will now be developed further and xenforo will release this as one of their official add-ons.

Some of the add-ons I would recommend is chris deemings Notifications, Luke foremans - Post Ratings, syndols - bookmarks, bobsters65 - showcase, jakes nodes as tabs. there just so many good add-ons there's too many to list.

Good to have you here i remember you from vbulletin. :)

Your other questions i'll leave the more experienced to answer

Does xF come with a converter? If not can someone recommend one?
Yes there are converters.

I currently have a vB 4.2 Suite with active blogs and deactivated CMS. How will the blogs be converted?

ask the devs who make blogs on those threads. They;ll help you.

Will forum and user permissions carry over?
Yes - I double checked mine but transfer was good.

Once converted will members have to reset their passwords?
Nope.

What will happen with groups?
There are social groups addons. You might need to ask a dev who does one to help you transfer your existing ones.

Is there an Arcade, project tool, Blogs, CMS, Links Directory, Downloader, addons available?
Blogs yes
CMS several options though I know people want better and there are a couple being coded
Links Dir yes
Downloader not exactly clear what you want but there is stuff around

How hard is it to create custom pages?
Just htnl pages - simple this is built in.
Several editing options incl bbcode ones.

What are some recommended/useful addons?
See my sig

I think you need to check out the Resources section and look through the support threads and dscriptions of some - some of waht you want there are several possibilties but also none might fit you well enough.
So broadly yes XF community has what you want but in your place I'd do thorough checks. The info is all here for you - Resources on the top navigation bar.

- Custom Pages are very easy to create. A little html css knowledge is required but if you run into trouble the community will help supporting any issues you have.
Seeing some of the pages that you & Azhria Lilu have worked on, I suspect if anybody has any questions about getting them to look nice then you two will know the answer since you've already 'been there, done that' with them. :D

Welcome to the XF side! :cool:

I was going to go with a "Welcome to The Dark Side, we have cookies!" reference but realized XF isn't really applicable to be being called The Dark Side. Anybody out there have a better "Welcome to..." analogy to use? :coffee:

I'm looking at converting a big vB to XF soon but I just wanted to make sure - do social groups actually not get imported? Why not just convert them to a forum during the import?

I'm looking at converting a big vB to XF soon but I just wanted to make sure - do social groups actually not get imported? Why not just convert them to a forum during the import?
This importer actually did import Social Groups, Social Groups Images, Blogs and lbums all into a category labelled vBulletin 4 imported Data.

Top Bottom