conversion and merging question

Jo.

I couldn't find a thread with this info, so apologies if I've missed it!

I'm wondering if someone could give me details of exactly what gets converted when doing a conversion from a vb3 forum to xf. I'm guessing it won't convert absolutely everything right? So I'm just wondering what gets converted and what doesn't.

Also, we have two completely separate boards - one for members and one for staff, but when we run the conversion, we'd like to combine/merge the two. Is that possible? If so, how does that work?

Jo, I did that...merged two together. What I did tho was convert one to an smf board, then use impex to merge the two back into one board into vb. Once I did that, I converted the merged board into xf. Example, Staff board converts to smf>then back get's merged to the vb member board. Next, both boards get merged to XF.

The downside to that is all Staff get turned into guests.

OR I believe it's possible to do two conversions. Import the staff board into xf, then import the member board into xf...and make sure you are careful that all staff members have the same user names on both vb boards, and then watch for duplicate names.

Well, I can't find what I'm really looking for, but I came across this.
Import User Groups​
Import Users​
Import Custom Avatars​
Import Private Messages​
Import Visitor Messages​
Import Forums​
Import Moderators​
Import Threads and Posts​
Import Attachments 1min​

Jo, I did that...merged two together. What I did tho was convert one to an smf board, then use impex to merge the two back into one board into vb. Once I did that, I converted the merged board into xf. Example, Staff board converts to smf>then back get's merged to the vb member board. Next, both boards get merged to XF.

The downside to that is all Staff get turned into guests.

OR I believe it's possible to do two conversions. Import the staff board into xf, then import the member board into xf...and make sure you are careful that all staff members have the same user names on both vb boards, and then watch for duplicate names.

Thanks Liz! :) I have no idea what an smf board or impex is, lol but maybe we can figure it out. If it's possible to do two conversions, that would be perfect for us I think. Thanks for the heads up about usernames - I'm pretty sure we have the same usernames on both, but i'll check to make sure!
:)

Well, I can't find what I'm really looking for, but I came across this.
Import User Groups​
Import Users​
Import Custom Avatars​
Import Private Messages​
Import Visitor Messages​
Import Forums​
Import Moderators​
Import Threads and Posts​
Import Attachments 1min​

Thanks for that Steven! :) I appreciate it!

If anyone comes across anything else that's not on that list, please let me know?

you can import both boards to xF if they are both vb3.x and make sure to make it merge users with the same name or with the same email address. It should do that. I'm not sure though.

Basically, import first board to a clean install xF then import the second board to xF but make sure you choose to merge users based on either name or email address.

After a board is converted, you can click on complete, then I recommend to rebuild the caches, and run the crontab listings, and check your usergroups and permissions. And make a backup of the .sql and files. Then run the second import.

Reactions: Jo.
Thanks guys. :)

Are permissions imported? I'm guessing not, since the permissions system is different etc, but just checking anyway to make sure. ;)

It's great to know that we can merge our two forums just by running a conversion on both of them. I wasn't certain if the conversion would just wipe whatever was on the forum already, or not. I've never actually had to do one before because we just went with vb from the beginning and never switched till now. :)
Thanks heaps for all your help and advise guys!! :D

Top Bottom