Conversation Monitor [Deleted]

Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood submitted a new resource:

Conversation Monitor - You can monitor keyword usage in conversations, ideal for catching scammers.

Stop scammers from using private messages to scam your members

What it does

Conversation Monitor scans new private conversation messages for specific keywords. If it finds a match, it creates a thread in a forum showing details of the conversation message.

Why it’s useful

For AVForums, it gives an extra layer of protection from classifieds scammers. But it could also be used to alert admin if someone is promoting a particular website. There are probably plenty of...

Read more about this resource...

I'm sorry you feel that way. What kind of value would you give it?

I think if you run a forum with classifieds, or any features that enable users to extort or scam each other, then this add on is necessary. AVForums in the past two days, has caught 2 previous scammers operating under a new username that they would not have noticed otherwise. Instead of two of the members on their site being scammed, they were able to be proactive and prevent it because of the flags this add on raises.

I think 10 dollars would be better, you are gonna make more money if a cheaper prize - more will buy.

Im getting money about 14 days, might give the add-on a try.

I understand the concept of supply and demand but that only goes so far. I can understand that $30 is a decent amount but I did not expect you to reduce the price by 67%.

I'm sorry but $10 is not going to happen. The fact is, this solves an important problem for a lot of communities. The people that understand it's purpose, also will understand the value. There was a decent amount of time put into this, there will be a decent amount of time put into supporting it. If you were to buy this add on custom, it'd be costing you closer to 4 figures.

People seriously underestimate how much it costs to make addons like this. $30 is nothing for an addon which helps protect your community from scammers. People have lost £hundreds to scammers on AVForums unfortunately which is why it was worth spending $hundreds to have it created.

Daniel Hood has passed Conversation Monitor over to me as we commissioned it originally and he is retiring from the Xenforo coding scene.
Conversation Monitor is available to purchase again by clicking the Buy Now button at the top and I will provide support here.
Thank you and apologies for the delay in bringing it back for sale.

Can a key word be two words, ie
"bank accounts" "phone Number" "your address" "send cash" etc
Can I monitor any selected member by adding them to a list?
Can I click on any members name and select monitor all conversation?
Can I pull up a list of all conversations by a selected member?
is there a limit on how many members can be monitored at the same time?

Will only one selected admin be able to read monitored conversations?
and by paying for this add-on will there be any branding showing up at the bottom of the forum?

Thanks

You can set up any number of 'Monitors', each of which can contain up to 10 key words or phrases.
Yes.
Can I monitor any selected member by adding them to a list?
Yes. Well what happens is that you can link users accounts with a particular monitor and when a message triggers the monitor, it lists the users you have set up to be linked.

Can I click on any members name and select monitor all conversation?
If by that you mean read all their conversations, then no.
But all conversations sent by all users are monitored for the keywords you set except for those in specific user groups which you can exclude from monitoring.

Can I pull up a list of all conversations by a selected member?
Not with this addon.

Will only one selected admin be able to read monitored conversations?
The contents of the conversation message which triggered the monitor is shown in the thread created by the addon.
You have to select a particular forum where these threads are created.
The members who can view that forum can view the contents of the messages 'trapped' by the system.

and by paying for this add-on will there be any branding showing up at the bottom of the forum?
There is a branding free option.

For what it's worth - whilst the answer is "yes" - such a monitor would, I suspect, trap many false positives from innocent senders. Better, I'd suggest, to use terms that are more likely to be unique to a given individual, such as a paypal address, phone number, postal (zip) code etc.

The system allows for either exact matches (only match when the character string, including spaces, is identical) or not exact, where non alphanumeric characters in either the setting or the message, are ignored. Thus for example using a postal code like W1A 1AA in the monitor setting

If it's set to exact then W1A1AA would not match
If it's set to not exact then W1A1AA would match
and conversely, if the monitor setting is W1A1AA not exact then
W1A 1AA (or indeed W1A_1AA) would match.

I don't know for sure, but since Daniel didn't include 1.3, I would say probably not.

1.0.0 works in xF 1.3 but have yet to have it actually pull up any logs

but when trying to install 1.1.0 it gives a 504 error. Won't actually install. No errors found in the server error logs. Any particular reason why this might be?

I'm going to just guess a column isn't being inserted in a specific table inside my database. This is common with other mods I installed. It made need to be manually inserted but in order to know what table that is would need your feedback.

Last edited:
Top Bottom