As designed Conversation filter language is wonky

beerForo

Affected version
Started by
Received by

I am wondering if you mean Received from?

So I tested this. Received by simply means ME. The message was received by me. So that is all the PMs. So I wondered if this filter actually did mean by for the ones sent to me, and I replied, so it was received by them. So I have a spam PM that I did not answer. It was not received by that person, it was received by me and from that person. However, in the filter I chose "Received by" and entered their name. This PM came up. So I think you mean received FROM.

Also it would be nice to tick both of these so we can just find the conversations with a person without having to do it twice, or be able to enter the name under all conversations, so it is all "with ____." Thanks

But it didn't. I filtered a spam message that was sent to me, and put their name in Received by. I was the only recipient. I never replied so they never were.

If you have a message you've never replied to filter the name with Received by. It comes up. It should not if this is the intent.

I don't mind the results, as they are showing whether you sent it or not and replied or not, so I will use it as a show all per user, but the language is not correct unless you are counting people as recipients of their own original message. Like I said, wonky. :)

If you still do not see it as wrong I will just edit, thanks. Perhaps to "Conversations with"

The wording is correct. It finds conversations where the name you search for is a recipient.
So since there's no replies I am just wondering, are you guys interpreting a member sending you a conversation (and you do not reply) as them being the actual recipient? Because the filters are saying so. If this is so I need to adjust my language as this is very odd.

I used the word recipient. Perhaps the word "participant" is clearer. It literally searches for PMs where the name you search for is a participant. Doesn't matter who sent it, who started it. If they're a participant in the conversation they will come up.

Yes but "Received by" is the language used by XF in the filter. So how is a PM sent from someone and I am not replying showing up as they received it?????

Perhaps the wording comes more from how we refer to them internally. It wasn't entirely accidental me using the word recipient earlier. We refer to all participants in a conversation -- again regardless of who sent/started what -- as recipients. The received by filter simply returns all conversations where the user you search for is a recipient - a recipient being any active participant in a conversation who is able to receive replies.

If you have a proposal for better wording, you may feel free to create a suggestion but honestly it's the same wording we've used for 9 years or so and I'm not sure it has been an issue to this point.

Fair enough. I will probably just edit mine. "Received by" would not usually refer to the sender having a copy of an un-replied to conversation he sent. I don't even understand that, so I am going to edit the language to "Conversations with"

Thanks for going back and forth with me. :cool:

EDIT

I edited my language, even the one above it. This is how I did it:

Show only:
Show all conversations
Conversations started by
Conversations with

Last edited:
Top Bottom