• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Add-on Conversation Essentials

• Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Syndol

Conversation Essentials 1.0.1
About:
This add-on adds vital functions and features for viewing and managing personal conversations.
This is the feature rich version of the basic Conversation Manager
Feature List:
  • Easily see conversation participants. Conversation participants will now be visible in both the conversation list and the inbox popup menu. In the conversation list, the participants may be displayed as either usernames or avatars, and can easily be switched via a toggle. An overlay with all the participants is also available. Should a conversation have more participants than can be displayed, a '... and x more' link will be available to you which opens an overlay with a list of all the participants. See image #1
  • Easily see who has left a conversation permanently. Participant who have left a conversation permenantly (ie will never receive further responses), are now displayed with a strikethrough their username and an X at the top right corner of their avatar. This is invaluable information as before you did not know whether a participant will ever see/read your message. If all participants have left a particular conversation, the reply box will now be hidden to prevent sending out a message that no one will ever see/read. See image #2
  • Multiple conversations manipulation. All conversations now have a checkbox beside their title, allowing for the selection of multiple conversations to be processed inline all at once. Actions that may be performed inline are: See image #3
    • Leave a conversation
    • Stick / unstick
    • Mark read / unread
    • Lock / unlock
  • Prefixes. This option provides certain usergroups the ability to create their own prefixes and assign them to their conversations for easy referencing. Conversations are searchable by prefix. See images #9 - 12
  • Participant groups. This option provides certain usergroups with the ability to create Participant Groups. These groups of multiple recipient names are then available via a dropdown menu when starting a new conversation. This is a great time saver when you often need to start a conversation with the same group of people such as your forum staff. See images #4, and #5
  • Inbox size limit. This option allows you to set a limit to the size of the inbox for certain usergroups. A visual percentage bar and text is displayed on the conversation list page, giving your members a clear indication of exactly how much space they have left in their inbox. Once the limit is reached, the user is prevented from starting or receiving new conversations. Should a member be blocked from receiving a conversation, they will get an alert indicating that person X has tried to contact them but could not get through due to their inbox being full. See top right corner of images #2 and #3
  • Auto respond to conversation starter. With this option, your members are able to set an auto response message to new conversations they receive while on vacation. Each member can set a start date, an end date, and the message that will be automatically posted for them whenever they receive a new conversation. See image #7
  • Sticky a conversation. Conversations can now be set as Stickies. A Sticky ensures the conversation will always remain at the top of the list. See images #2 and #3
  • Locked conversations display a 'locked' icon as well provide the appropriate status text when viewing the conversation. See image #2
  • Inbox popup last poster avatar. The inbox popup menu has an option to display the avatar of the last poster (instead of the default conversation starter). See image #6
  • Last message preview. With this option, when conversation titles on the conversation list page are hovered, a preview of the last message will display. See image #8
  • This add-on does not alter any of the XenForo conversation MySQL tables, which means it can easily be installed on large boards.
Price:
The price is only $40 and entitles you to use this add-on on one (1) XenForo installation only.
Payment by PayPal only. Once purchased, this add-on may not be resold, redistributed, or copied in whole or in part.
Please contact me via PC for further details. Thank you.

Installation:
Due to the large amount of features this add-on provides, it requires seven template edits. However, thankefully all you have to do is copy and paste the new templates overwriting the old ones.
Template edits are commented and are displayed in bold text so you may easily see what changes were made.
  1. Upload the contents of the 'Upload/js' folder to the 'js' folder on your server
  2. Upload the contents of the 'Upload/library' folder to the 'library' folder on your server
  3. Seven (7) templates need to be overwritten. Open the 'Template Edits' folder and locate each template in the template editor of your Admin Control Panel. Overwrite each template with the one provided. If any of these templates were previously modified, simply add the commented bold text from the template provided to your existing modified one.
  4. Import the addon-ConvEss.xml file
  5. To set inbox size restrictions, give each of your usergroups the 'Inbox Size (max number of conversations)' permission located in the 'Personal Conversation Permissions' section
  6. By default, your usergroups do not have permission to start Participant Groups. Assign desired usergroup the 'Can create participant groups' permission
  7. By default, your usergroups do not have permission to use the Auto Respose feature. Assign desired usergroup the 'Auto response message' permission
  8. Locate the add-on permission page located in the 'Home/Options' section of the admin control panel. The add-on is named 'Conversation Essentials'. Here you may set some general permissions.
  9. You are done. Enjoy the new conversation layout and functions the way they should have been from the very start :).
If you like this add-on, why not check out my other one named Bookmarks

Attachments

• 1_Participants_Avatars.webp
    1_Participants_Avatars.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 2_Left_Permanently.webp
    2_Left_Permanently.webp
    62.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 3_Inline_Actions.webp
    3_Inline_Actions.webp
    48.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 4_Participant_Groups.webp
    4_Participant_Groups.webp
    41.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 5_Start_Conversation.webp
    5_Start_Conversation.webp
    25.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 6_Conversation_Popup.webp
    6_Conversation_Popup.webp
    11 KB · Views: 166
  • 7_Auto_Response.webp
    7_Auto_Response.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 8_Last_Post_Preview.webp
    8_Last_Post_Preview.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 9_Edit_Inline_Prefixes.webp
    9_Edit_Inline_Prefixes.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 10_Custom_Prefixes.webp
    10_Custom_Prefixes.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 11_Create_Edit_Prefix.webp
    11_Create_Edit_Prefix.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 12_Prefixes.webp
    12_Prefixes.webp
    37.4 KB · Views: 159
Syndol you thought of everything. I'm especially liking the conversation groups and making conversations sticky. Will purchase it first chance I get.

Hi Syndol,

just wondering wht is the difference of this add-on with your "Conversation Manager" ?
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/conversation-manager.25239/

Is the "Conversation Essentials" more advanced than the "Conversation Manager"?

From looking at the screenshots, this is absolutely fabulous and very "essential" indeed!
K+M should hire you! :)

Hi erich, I think he explained this here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/conversation-manager.25239/page-6#post-323849

Syndol,

here is an idea:

have the possibility to "invite users" - who are not even registered at the Forum - into a "Conversation Group".
So literally "registered members" could invite their colleagues or friends into the conversation, although these people are not yet registered with the Forum yet.

What do you think about this?

Syndol I was going to get your Conversation Manager as my next addon because I followed your thread on it and I thought it was marvellous. I like the functions but I also like very much the way you handle us demanding users!

Could you give the list of templates to edit please.
Because I have a lot of template customisation. It is still possible but I cannot just 100% replace certain templates. I would need to compare your version with my version. Although I think mostly with Conversation templates my main change is the sidebar.

have the possibility to "invite users" - who are not even registered at the Forum...
Not sure how that would work. The conversation system is built around members (ie user ids).
Could you give the list of templates to edit please. Because I have a lot of template customisation. It is still possible but I cannot just 100% replace certain templates. I would need to compare your version with my version.
It would probably be easier to add your changes to my new templates rather than the other way around.
The affected templates are:
conversation_add
conversation_edit
conversation_list_item
conversation_list_popup_item
conversation_list
conversation_recipients
conversation_view

Wow I just went through the screenshots. Wow! I didn't do that before because I was part of your planning thread so I knew it had good functions. But WOW! seeing them all together so efficient and elegant is quite an experience.

I'm working out how to do as you said: to add my bits to your templates. Very glad to pay you for this.

I won't say what's next? as that would sound ungrateful - I intend to install Bookmarks too but don't want to intro changes too fast for my members. However I do think that whatever you add to your portfolio is going to be fantastic - you're a real asset to XF.

Wow... this is just awesome!

The only thing that scares me are the template replacements. Not because I have to do them, but because I don't know what they are. I'd rather not overwrite other changes I've made, etc. Although, I think most of those changes were from your free version of this mod.

In anycase, sweet work as always, really well done.

Syndol is there any chance of you providing the templates with your changes marked in a colour or something?
Or maybe just commented <!-- SYNDOL --> to help us with merging the template edits?
I would gladly pay you $20 for this extra.

The only thing that scares me are the template replacements. Not because I have to do them, but because I don't know what they are. I'd rather not overwrite other changes I've made, etc.
Syndol is there any chance of you providing the templates with your changes marked in a colour or something?
Or maybe just commented <!-- SYNDOL --> to help us with merging the template edits?
I understand your concern about the edits but unfortunately I cannot use hooks (not even ones I create) due to the nature of the changes. In order to insert the new features seamlessly into the design of the pages concerned I have to add bits of HTML here and there.
I have commented my changes wherever they occur (<!-- ConvEss -->) in a template but I'm afraid it is not feasible to display them all here on this thread.
All I can say is that will be happy to work with you in identifying and incorporating my changes with your modified templates.

Syndol you're a darling. I think I'll do fine if you commented stuff. (Worth adding that to your original description next to the template changes).
But thank you for saying you'll help if I get stuck.
I'll take copies of all my versions of those templates before I bring in yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom