Conversation Essentials

Conversation Essentials [Paid] 1.14.1

No permission to buy ($45.00)
  • Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
Hey @Xon, great plugin! Our members love it.

A user on our forum reported the following bug to me:

When using the Private Messaging system, Participant Groups don't work if any members included in the group have a apostrophe or hyphen in their name. While it will let you create the group, you can click it but it never actually adds any contacts to a conversation.

Any ideas?

I've been trying to find a way to kick a user out manually using DB edits. Even though approach has worked in a test environment, I am interested in this popular add-on for a live environment.

• Kick Participants out of conversations. Option to allow certain user groups to kick a user out of their conversation via a link in the participant's mini avatar. A kicked user may be re-invited back into the conversation at any time. Please note that those users who leave the conversation on their own accord cannot be invited back as per default XenForo behaviour. Administrators cannot be kicked out of conversations, while Moderators can only be kicked out by Administrators. See images #18 and #19

I have a couple of questions about this feature I am most interested in.

Assuming the conversation involves three users -- A, B and C. A is an admin and the anyone in the conversation can invite participants. All three receive emails (i.e. have the alerts turned on) for the messages posted in the conversation.

1. Assuming the conversation was started by C, can C be kicked out by A?

2. If the same conversation were to be started by A, and A kicks C out, C will not receive any emails from the conversation anymore while A and B will, correct?

I was also wondering if this had an option to delete the conversation but save it in a private forum (admin only).

Copy Conversation/Conversation Message to thread. Allow exporting of entire conversations or selected messages to a thread.
  • Preserve ip/edit history/timestamps depending on permissions.
  • On exporting entire conversation, options to stay/leave/kick everyone from the conversation.
  • Works with very large conversations due to using deferred tasks

Does this essentially mean what I was wondering? If I kick everyone when exporting to a private forum, the conversation gets deleted for all participants but gets saved in the private forum I export it to? Will the conversation participants know about the existence of the conversation posts in a private forum?

Last edited:
I've been trying to find a way to kick a user out manually using DB edits. Even though approach has worked in a test environment, I am interested in this popular add-on for a live environment.

I have a couple of questions about this feature I am most interested in.

Assuming the conversation involves three users -- A, B and C. A is an admin and the anyone in the conversation can invite participants. All three receive emails (i.e. have the alerts turned on) for the messages posted in the conversation.

1. Assuming the conversation was started by C, can C be kicked out by A?

2. If the same conversation were to be started by A, and A kicks C out, C will not receive any emails from the conversation anymore while A and B will, correct?
It functions exactly as if the user had click "leave conversation, and ignore updates", even if the kicked user had started the conversation. This means they do not get any more notifications.

However, you can re-invite someone you kick to undo the kick.

I was also wondering if this had an option to delete the conversation but save it in a private forum (admin only).

Does this essentially mean what I was wondering? If I kick everyone when exporting to a private forum, the conversation gets deleted for all participants but gets saved in the private forum I export it to? Will the conversation participants know about the existence of the conversation posts in a private forum?
Correct, if you kick everyone the conversation will be deleted. On exporting a conversation to a thread, each participant is notified if they are able to see the exported thread. So if you export to a private forum, they don't get notified.

Is the kick feature still working? I'm looking at two sites where this is installed, and the kick feature isn't visible, even though it's set to always show, and analysing the permissions show it should be available?

Is the kick feature still working? I'm looking at two sites where this is installed, and the kick feature isn't visible, even though it's set to always show, and analysing the permissions show it should be available?
As far as I can tell it is working, this sounds like a themeing issue. Can you see if it shows up under the stock XenForo theme? If it does I'll need some details on the theme to troubleshoot this

As far as I can tell it is working, this sounds like a themeing issue. Can you see if it shows up under the stock XenForo theme? If it does I'll need some details on the theme to troubleshoot this
I've checked 3 different sites in the default theme, and the kick option isn't displaying.

EDIT: Although, looking at the versions, they are all pretty out of date based on what I'm seeing in the ACP.

I've checked 3 different sites in the default theme, and the kick option isn't displaying.
Enabling/disabling the "[ConvEss] Can kick participants from own conversations" permission makes it show up in my dev environment and for Space Battles & Sufficient Velocity.

1509972415983.webp

EDIT: Although, looking at the versions, they are all pretty out of date based on what I'm seeing in the ACP.
Looking at the change logs where was some bugfixes for this, so try updating.

Just curious: ETA when this addon will be useable for xf2?
I don't have a firm deadline, but I'm definitely aiming to get it done before Q2 2018.

Once I've got a couple of my other add-ons out of the way I'll have a better idea how long it will take to port this one.

Anyway to limit the number of posts in a single conversation or auto open new conversation when the post count of the conversation reach around 10,000 posts?

I can see there is a inbox limit which limit the number of conversations someone can have in his inbox, but its not preventing him from having a million post chat in a single conversation which will affect the server load and performance.

The inbox size limits can operate on total conversation count or total conversation message count.

@Xon is there any way to have the conversation participant list purged of people who have been kicked out of the conversation? looking at this strikethrough name continually is getting old

conversation essentials bug.webp

Top Bottom