considering xenforo, converting from IPB.. questions

ratty988

Hello,

i am considering converting from IPB to xenforo. Not because I am not happy with IPB, I am. I just like to do new things, and I feel like my forum could use something.. new (plus IPS is taking FOREVER to release 4.0 and i desire a responsive forum) :)

• As I'm sure you know IPB has some official addons, like Gallery, Chat etc. So I am wondering what is the best way to create an xenforo board to have both of these necessary features...
  • Are there any known issues converting IPB to xenforo?
  • My board has a lot of images linked from the IP. gallery to posts on the forums. How does the converter handle this? Would my pictures be lost in the threads that have linked images?
That's all I can think of for now. Thank you for your help.

Cant help with the chat, but can with the gallery.

I converted my VB gallery to Xen Media Gallery, but Im not sure if there is an IP.Gallery importer. XenGallery lists an importer for IP.Gallery.

Images linked with BB code should still work with proper redirects in place. Images directly linked will no longer work unless you keep the old gallery folders and files. Another option is to convert directly linked image to forum attachments. I modified this addon to only convert images linked to my old gallery and to clean up some BB code.

• As I'm sure you know IPB has some official addons, like Gallery, Chat etc. So I am wondering what is the best way to create an xenforo board to have both of these necessary features...
Take a look through the resources available, as mentioned Xen Media Gallery is a good shout - https://xenforo.com/community/resources/elegance.2420/
Chat - https://xenforo.com/community/resources/taigachat-ajax-shoutbox.115/ or CometChat.com

• Are there any known issues converting IPB to xenforo?
You can't transfer passwords - I don't think? Well my forum went from vB5 > IPB > XF and I lost passwords.... Could just be the vB5 integration (hate that software)

• My board has a lot of images linked from the IP. gallery to posts on the forums. How does the converter handle this? Would my pictures be lost in the threads that have linked images?
If attached to the posts, they will be attachments in XF... However, they are likely to be lost if not attached.

You can't transfer passwords - I don't think? Well my forum went from vB5 > IPB > XF and I lost passwords.... Could just be the vB5 integration (hate that software)
Pretty sure it was because it was a double import (from VB5 to IPB <passwords carried over> then to XF, which because of the earlier conversion they did not). This is a normal problem with a double import like that. If it is a software that there is an existing official converter for, there should be no password problems.

Pretty sure it was because it was a double import (from VB5 to IPB <passwords carried over> then to XF, which because of the earlier conversion they did not). This is a normal problem with a double conversion like that. If it is a software that there is an existing official converter for, there should be no password problems.
Thought it might be :(

Okay ignore that bad advice, thanks for correcting me Tracy :)

Top Bottom