Considering migration of large forum - feature questions

StripersOnline

Greetings. I'm the owner of a large, active forum with about 11,000,000 posts and loads of images. We recently migrated from Huddler to IPB 3.4.7 - it was a nightmare. We are not happy with IPB 3.4.7 and are now down to two options: IPB 4.0 or Xenforo. I've just started poking around Xenforo here...and I like what I see :)

I have some questions about features:

1. Can you upload an image directly from a URL? Not a hotlink, but uploading an image to our server directly from a URL so that the image is stored locally.

2. Can members be banned from individual forums or individual threads without having to create a special group for each forum and then removing the individual from the group for the specific forum you want them removed from?

3. Are there performance issues with large 'posts' databases - ours is more than 10GB? Would we be likely able to run a forum our size with Xenforo on a single dedicated server (24 cores - 32GB RAM - RAID10) without issue?

4. There are presently complicated redirects using the old forum database and the IPB forum database for posts, members and images that existed prior to the migration in March - is there a way to migrate or integrate these redirects into Xenforo? That might be better discussed privately, I'm sure this is a tough one to answer without knowing how the redirect scripts presently function :)

5. When a forum leader edits a post - is there a manner by which admins can see the edit history and see the content that was edited?

Thanks for you help. Also, could someone contact me with a link to peek at the admin/moderator interface on a test forum so I can check that out? Thanks again.

Tim Surgent

1. Can you upload an image directly from a URL? Not a hotlink, but uploading an image to our server directly from a URL so that the image is stored locally.

As a specific using the upload a file button, no, you can however use the image proxy, so any hotlinked images are retrieved and stored locally instead.

. Can members be banned from individual forums or individual threads without having to create a special group for each forum and then removing the individual from the group for the specific forum you want them removed from?

Not currently in the core, I believe however there is an addon which does this.

3. Are there performance issues with large 'posts' databases - ours is more than 10GB? Would we be likely able to run a forum our size with Xenforo on a single dedicated server (24 cores - 32GB RAM - RAID10) without issue?

I don't see any issues there. XenForo is very lightweight out the box.

4. There are presently complicated redirects using the old forum database and the IPB forum database for posts, members and images that existed prior to the migration in March - is there a way to migrate or integrate these redirects into Xenforo? That might be better discussed privately, I'm sure this is a tough one to answer without knowing how the redirect scripts presently function

To redirect from huddler? Or redirect from IPB? We have IPB redirects available, huddler ones would need to be made specially

When a forum leader edits a post - is there a manner by which admins can see the edit history and see the content that was edited?

Yes, edit history is standard.

Thanks for you help. Also, could someone contact me with a link to peek at the admin/moderator interface on a test forum so I can check that out? Thanks again.

Set up a demo here: https://xenforo.com/demo/

Thanks. It looks very promising so far :)
A few more things:

1. Is there a converter for IPB gallery to Xenforo gallery?
2. Is there an option to have a right hand column for things like who's viewing, banners/buttons, etc?

Is there someone I can email to discuss some specifics about the conversion and how much/little the folks at Xenforo would/could be involved? Thanks again....looks like great software, it has the majority of features we consider very important, right out of the box.

TimS

Is there an option to pay for support to handle things like the custom redirects that are going to be necessary - or to pay for support to be available very quickly during the import/conversion process? Or, more importantly, someone to pay to check out the existing redirect scripts, how they use parts of the Huddler DB we migrated from and the IPB DB, to see if there's a better way to do the redirects with Xenforo?

I'm not sure of the rules on this website, I don't want to cross any lines and PM these kind of questions :) Thanks again for your help.

TimS

Top Bottom