XF 2.1 Connection timed out after 10001 milliseconds

sbj

Lately I am getting problems with alerts and push notifications. This is the other error I get.
This is not related to any of mentioned addons in the error log I was told.

PHP:
Server error log

ErrorException: Push notification failure: {"success":false,"endpoint":{},"message":"cURL error 28: Connection timed out after 10001 milliseconds (see http:\/\/curl.haxx.se\/libcurl\/c\/libcurl-errors.html)"} src/XF/Error.php:75

Generated by: XXX 8 April 2020 at 16:23

Stack trace

#0 src/XF.php(184): XF\Error->logError('Push notificati...', false)
#1 src/XF/Service/PushNotification.php(249): XF::logError('Push notificati...')
#2 src/XF/Service/PushNotification.php(167): XF\Service\PushNotification->handleResults(Array, Array)
#3 src/XF/Service/PusherTrait.php(182): XF\Service\PushNotification->sendNotifications()
#4 src/XF/Repository/UserAlert.php(147): XF\Service\Alert\Pusher->push()
#5 src/XF/Repository/UserAlert.php(111): XF\Repository\UserAlert->insertAlert(5, 124, 'XXX, 'post', 71498, 'forumwatch_inse...', Array)
#6 src/XF/Notifier/AbstractNotifier.php(55): XF\Repository\UserAlert->alert(Object(SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XF\Entity\User), 124, 'XXX', 'post', 71498, 'forumwatch_inse...', Array)
#7 src/XF/Notifier/Post/ForumWatch.php(57): XF\Notifier\AbstractNotifier->basicAlert(Object(SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XF\Entity\User), 124, 'XXX', 'post', 71498, 'forumwatch_inse...')
#8 src/XF/Service/AbstractNotifier.php(86): XF\Notifier\Post\ForumWatch->sendAlert(Object(SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XF\Entity\User))
#9 src/XF/Service/AbstractNotifier.php(44): XF\Service\AbstractNotifier->notifyType(Object(XF\Notifier\Post\ForumWatch), Array, G)
#10 src/XF/Service/AbstractNotifier.php(56): XF\Service\AbstractNotifier->notify(3)
#11 src/XF/Service/Thread/Replier.php(219): XF\Service\AbstractNotifier->notifyAndEnqueue(3)
#12 src/XF/Pub/Controller/Thread.php(330): XF\Service\Thread\Replier->sendNotifications()
#13 src/XF/Pub/Controller/Thread.php(463): XF\Pub\Controller\Thread->finalizeThreadReply(Object(XF\Service\Thread\Replier))
#14 src/addons/KL/EditorManager/XF/Pub/Controller/Thread.php(27): XF\Pub\Controller\Thread->actionAddReply(Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#15 src/addons/SV/PostFloodPerms/XF/Pub/Controller/Thread.php(35): KL\EditorManager\XF\Pub\Controller\Thread->actionAddReply(Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#16 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(350): SV\PostFloodPerms\XF\Pub\Controller\Thread->actionAddReply(Object(XF\Mvc\ParameterBag))
#17 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(257): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass('XF:Thread', 'AddReply', Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XF\Pub\Controller\Thread), NULL)
#18 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(113): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch), Object(SV\ElasticSearchEssentials\XF\Pub\Controller\Thread), NULL)
#19 src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php(55): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop(Object(XF\Mvc\RouteMatch))
#20 src/XF/App.php(2184): XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run()
#21 src/XF.php(391): XF\App->run()
#22 index.php(20): XF::runApp('XF\\Pub\\App')
#23 {main}

Request state

array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(71) "/forum/XXX.67373/add-reply"
  ["referrer"] => string(84) "XXX/forum/XXX.67373/"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["XXX_67373/add-reply"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(10) {
    ["message_html"] => string(40) "<p>XXX</p>"
    ["attachment_hash"] => string(32) "65cacc69b0f8f71bdd7a8de013d895c7"
    ["attachment_hash_combined"] => string(87) "{"type":"post","context":{"thread_id":67373},"hash":"65cacc69b0f8f71bdd7a8de013d895c7"}"
    ["last_date"] => string(10) "1586352403"
    ["last_known_date"] => string(10) "1586352403"
    ["klPage"] => string(0) ""
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
    ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(62) "/forum/XXX.67373/"
    ["_xfWithData"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
  }
}

This really just indicates a connection issue with the push notification target server. It could be an issue on their end or something between your server and theirs. If it's just sporadic, then unfortunately it's quite hard to debug as it's really just a network issue. (If it happens constantly and no push notifications go out, that would likely indicate some sort of firewall blocking the connection, but it doesn't sound like the case here.)

Reactions: sbj
Thank you.

I cleared my error logs, so I only have ones from yesterday and today. I checked and I got 8 of these ones for 3 different users. All in the same country.

I assume because of Corona all networks are overloaded right now. Perhaps I should wait until everything goes back to normal and see if those errors return.

Just to be sure, no addon can cause such problems, right? This is a problem on the user's end if I understand you correctly.

Just to be sure, no addon can cause such problems, right?
Correct.

This is a problem on the user's end if I understand you correctly.
Not really. The push servers relate to the browser vendor, so generally Google or Mozilla here. The push system sends a message to them and their connection sends it to the individual user. This is a connectivity issue from your server to the vendor push server, but it's very difficult to suggest where the problem might be unless you can catch it at the time. And it's certainly possible that it really might just be a temporary overload on their end.

Reactions: sbj
Ah, okay, it is between my server and the browser they are using. I will just wait and see.

But as an idea, since we can send alerts in ACP, I could send to my account (or maybe to a user in the error logs) over and over alerts and see if I can trigger that error. Would that help to investigate it further? Maybe not needed right now, just mentioning this idea if things get worse.

Thanks, it eases my mind that no addon is involved at least.

Top Bottom