Configuration and import / advertisement banners

webmasterxl

Hi,

I have some questions before I am going to buy Xenforo:

1. I need to configure Xenforo 2 according to my needs first (design, advertisement placement, add-ons etc.) before I import the data from my old vBulletin forum. Is that possible? Or do I have to import the data first?

2. Is it possible to import the data and configure Xenforo with the data imported and afterwards importing the actual data of the still used vBulletin forum again ?

3. Is there already an add-on for placing advertisement banners within the first or/and last post of a thread? This function is provided in vBulletin as a standard.

4. Is there already an add-on for placing first advertisement banners above the forums (below the header menue) and second advertisements banners below the forums (above the footer)?

5. Does Xenforo 2 come with a language package for the German language as well?

6. As far as I can see, there could only be provided a forum title for each forum. However, I wanted to add subtitles to the forum titles in order to increase their intelligibility. Is that possible?
Thank you

wmXL

Last edited:
I need to configure Xenforo 2 according to my needs first (design, advertisement placement, add-ons etc.) before I import the data from my old vBulletin forum. Is that possible? Or do I have to import the data first?
It's generally ok, but it's best to avoid adding any actual content (in terms of threads, posts, users etc.) prior to the import. Also be prepared to do some test imports, so once you've got everything set up as you like, do a back up of the files and database on the server and be prepared to restore them in case the importer doesn't work as you expect, or issues are introduced by add-ons.

Is it possible to import the data and configure Xenforo with the data imported and afterwards importing the actual data of the still used vBulletin forum again ?
Unfortunately we do not support incremental imports. Hence the comments about testing the process first.

Is there already an add-on for placing advertisement banners within the first or/and last post of a thread? This function is provided in vBulletin as a standard.
We have an advertising system that allows you to insert HTML in certain positions throughout the code. There is a position that appears, by default, in every post. You can use template conditionals to ensure it only shows at certain post positions. Support can be provided for this.

Is there already an add-on for placing first advertisement banners above the forums (below the header menue) and second advertisements banners below the forums (above the footer)?
Again, this is possible with the built in advertising system.

Does Xenforo 2 come with a language package for the German language as well?
It only ships with English. There are various translations in our resource manager here: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/xenforo-translations-2-x.49/

As far as I can see, there could only be provided a forum title for each forum. However, I wanted to add subtitles to the forum titles in order to increase their intelligibility. Is that possible?
If you hover over some of our forum names, you'll see a tooltip appearing with a description for that forum. This tooltip can be switched off so the description text always displays below the forum name.

Thanks!

so once you've got everything set up as you like, do a back up of the files and database on the server and be prepared to restore them in case the importer doesn't work as you expect, or issues are introduced by add-ons.

A backup of the Xenforo installation, I guess?

What about the olfd forum? Will it work properly even after having imported its content to the Xenforo forum?

We have an advertising system that allows you to insert HTML in certain positions throughout the code. There is a position that appears, by default, in every post. You can use template conditionals to ensure it only shows at certain post positions. Support can be provided for this.

I didn't find the mentioned positions in the Xenforo manual. Is there any graphic showing these possible positions?

wmXL

What about the olfd forum? Will it work properly even after having imported its content to the Xenforo forum?
Absolutely, the migration is only one way and it's totally non-destructive so it won't affect your vBulletin database. You'd need to have your vBulletin forum closed while performing the test imports though, or even perform the test imports on a back up of the vBulletin installation.

I didn't find the mentioned positions in the Xenforo manual. Is there any graphic showing these possible positions?
It's recommended to check out the Admin demo and go to Admin > Setup > Advertising > + Add advertisement. All of the positions are listed there and selecting one will give you a text description of where it is.

Top Bottom