1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 $config['globalSalt'] in my config.php - safe to remove?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by CyclingTribe, Aug 5, 2013.

1. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

I've edited the CycleChat config.php file this morning to make the admin log store indefinitely, and came across a globalsalt entry - $config['globalSalt'] = '......'

The only reference I can find to this config value on XF.com is related to this archived add-on thread:

I don't have the globalsalt value in the config of my other seven sites, so presume I've tried this add-on at some point in the past and removed it.

What does it do and is there likely to be any negative impact to me removing the line from the config file?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Well, strictly speaking they're not all listed there. :) There are a few that you probably don't want to change that aren't listed there. The global salt is a good example unless you had a good reason to change it.
  4. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks Mike, I'll leave it as is for now; I'd rather not break anything unnecessarily.

Although I can't guarantee that curiosity won't get the better of me at some point in the future ... ;)
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Ah yes, just checked the .php file and not all of them are listed on that page.