Competitions for XenForo [Deleted]

Image upload with crop tool with optional Alt/Title text, caption and link URL
Does this use the default xenforo attachment system?

Could we use the crop also for other attachment types? If yes, i'll buy it immediately only because of this feature:D

Really glad to see this resource be made available for XenForo! Any chance of doing something similar to what Rafflecopter does with Facebook and Twitter? They have built-in options where you can select that a user must "like" your FB page or "follow" your site's account on Twitter to earn entries. They allow the options to be mandatory or optional, and even allow you to create your own options & require criteria from a user (ie: Have a user leave a comment on a page, and provide their username... or subscribe to a YouTube channel, and provide their username).

Any chance of that kind of functionality coming to this resource? If we can have that, I would definitely be interested in purchasing this!

I agree with some of the suggestions there should be more options added to the users to be able to enter the competition, not only based on questions. Only expand this add-on to one awesome level. :)

I'm aiming to purchase indeed, does this requires to pay extra 20% again because of vat stuff? :(

Yes it uses the default XenForo attachment system in terms of storing the attachments. Attachment is in xf_attachment. Data is in xf_attachment_data. The default XenForo attachment thumbnail is still created in data and the data for the full size image is stored in internal_data as usual.

The full size image is resized to 800px wide (forced and hard coded via constraints) but that is so we can display the full size image on the screen so we can then start drawing on it for cropping.

It's worth noting that the images are NOT cropped or resized in the editor. We're about to upload a video so you will see it in action.

The code to crop the image is completely custom and ISN'T called anywhere else. So you can't use it out of the box on post attachments, for example. The cropping is done via a jQuery plugin called jCrop. That populates a few hidden inputs with the x, y, width and height values.

Those values are then captured during the save action and serialized for each image. The attachment temp hash is passed through to my DataWriter where I then have a custom function to associate the attachment data and run the images through GD (My own image manipulation functions do not use ImageMagick) to crop and resize the images accordingly.

So I've probably told you way more than you wanted to know, but my point is, it isn't complicated. I'm sure you could replicate the process for your own needs.

Reactions: Dan
Really glad to see this resource be made available for XenForo! Any chance of doing something similar to what Rafflecopter does with Facebook and Twitter? They have built-in options where you can select that a user must "like" your FB page or "follow" your site's account on Twitter to earn entries. They allow the options to be mandatory or optional, and even allow you to create your own options & require criteria from a user (ie: Have a user leave a comment on a page, and provide their username... or subscribe to a YouTube channel, and provide their username).

Any chance of that kind of functionality coming to this resource? If we can have that, I would definitely be interested in purchasing this!
These suggestions have been noted, but it's currently too early to say how likely they are going to be implemented. I'm not going to give false promises and say we'll add these features because I can't do that. Just keep an eye out :)

I agree with some of the suggestions there should be more options added to the users to be able to enter the competition, not only based on questions. Only expand this add-on to one awesome level. :)

I'm aiming to purchase indeed, does this requires to pay extra 20% again because of vat stuff? :(

No, the prices are as-is. £25 for branded version. £50 for the brand free version.

This is what the entire process looks like :)

Thanks to @Stuart Wright for spending the entire day producing this!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(View full screen and HD)

No, the prices are as-is. £25 for branded version. £50 for the brand free version.
Thanks, only 1 question, how does this performs with other styles? Far i saw this looks to have strong customization specially in the competitions page. :(

Also aren't the images in the side clickable?

Thanks, only 1 question, how does this performs with other styles? Far i saw this looks to have strong customization specially in the competitions page. :(

Also aren't the images in the side clickable?

You can define the URL for the images so they can be clickable if you want (watch Stu's video, it's pretty informative).

Style-wise, it looks fine on Russ's Core style. Maybe a few CSS tweaks needed but nothing major.

You'll see from the video that the competitions addon is full of features and we'll be going live with it soon as part of our big migration from vBulletin.
By the way, I set up and published a competition from scratch and explained how to do it in less than 20 minutes. If you have the assets organised (we have a digital form which competition sponsors have to fill out and send to us) then you can pretty much copy and paste everything right in and get the job done in less time.
Sometimes you have to faff around creating a nice thumbnail and in the vB system, I wrote a script which allows the creation of a thumbnail using several source images and text.
Untitled-1.webp
But that would have taken too long to do, so left it out. All the same, it's a quick and easy process.

There are features which are 'nice to have' which I hope Chris will get to after more pressing jobs are done.
These include reports on the total value of prizes awarded (for marketing purposes), graphs of the number competition entries by day and other features suggested in this thread.

For the moment, what we have is a really simple, yet powerful tool for running extremely slick competitions with very little effort, developed with the experience of the competitions system running smoothly on avforums for years. I think the biggest prize we have given away on our competitions so far was this £5,000 projector sponsored by Sevenoaks and JVC.

Last edited:
It works excellently on custom styles. It uses existing style properties, global XenForo style classes and the XenForo colour pallet where possible.

I mean, you can see for yourself how great it looks on a custom style:

http://xenmediagallery.com/competitions/

With the exception of the creation page and archive pages (which are generally for staff only), it looks wonderful on Responsive styles too. (Resize your browser).

For each sidebar image you can define a URL. The idea isn't so much to link through to a larger image, it's maybe to link through to more information about the product, or a page where you could buy the product etc. (think affiliate links, that kind of thing).

Yep, stuff like the geo-IP restriction really shows how polished and well thought-out this addon is :)
Thanks, Rob. I was trying to think if there was any reason why we couldn't automatically notify winners.
In the current system (avforums + vBulletin), we automatically pick them, but manually check that they are eligible before announcing. The only thing which makes them ineligible is if they enter from outside of any territory restriction.
I have some other addon ideas which use GeoIP, so I had Tim at Nimbus compile it in for us and set up auto updating data, and hey presto. Nothing stopping us from picking winners and notifying them with a nice alert.

If GeoIP is disabled, the territory input is hidden, and the competition will allow any one to enter from any territory. I tested a few cloud based APIs but I found them to be unreliable in comparison to having it installed locally.

You can still enforce territories as a restriction, but it would require manual verification at the end of the competition. That's what the "Restrictions" editor is for in the Competition Create form:

upload_2013-9-15_21-34-40.webp

That produces the "Additional Terms and Conditions" output you can see above.

Top Bottom