Competitions for XenForo [Deleted]

Will it be possible to require a "unique entry" from each participant in the new version? For example by adding a text field next to the check boxes? Example: "Please write a few words about why you should win".

(We're not allowed to host competitions in Sweden without a silly permit, unless every entry is unique in some way, because it's considered a "give away/ lottery" otherwise. I think that the same goes for several other parts of the EU).

I'd buy this at once if that was possible :)
Wow, that's a crazy law. With each competition entry, the member ID is included. Could that be considered a unique element? For the purposes of skirting round the crazy law?

Wow, that's a crazy law. With each competition entry, the member ID is included. Could that be considered a unique element? For the purposes of skirting round the crazy law?

Yes, it's bonkers :)

Thanks for the suggestion. No, I'm afraid that it requires each participant to submit/perform something that's unique. A phrase, a picture they've taken, or something like that.

Almost every online competition here has a field where people are forced to write why they should win, in order to take part of the competition, just to avoid having to apply for a "lottery permit" from the "Swedish Gambling Authority". It's all very Orwellian and surreal :) We can't host giveaways either, because of the same reason. It would be considered a "lottery" and require a permit.

Last edited:
Yes, it's bonkers :)

Thanks for the suggestion. No, I'm afraid that it requires each participant to submit/perform something that's unique. A phrase, a picture they've taken, or something like that.

Almost every online competition here has a field where people are forced to write why they should win, in order to take part of the competition, just to avoid having to apply for a "lottery permit" from the "Swedish Gambling Authority". It's all very Orwellian and surreal :) We can't host giveaways either, because of the same reason. It would be considered a "lottery" and require a permit.
Would you be interested in helping to fund the addition of an optional text field? I'd hazard a guess that it's not going to be too expensive.

Chris D updated Competitions for XenForo with a new update entry:

New features!

The "update" will be sent out shortly to existing customers via FetchApp. Please note that sometimes emails fail to send for various reasons. If you have a copy of any FetchApp email related to your order, the download link in that will take you to a page that allows you to download the new version.

If you cannot find any order emails, please contact @Chris D via conversation with the email address you paid with and I'll give you the link.
  • Various bug fixes
  • Restrict who can enter a competition with trophy style "Contents and achievements" criteria:
View attachment 144721
  • You can also restrict who can win a competition using similar criteria.
  • Each competition has an option to require winners to be confirmed before they are announced as winners. This gives the opportunity to manually confirm winners (e.g. make sure they are eligible, make sure they are contactable etc.) before finalising the competition.
  • The system can select a new winner at random in the above scenario. Just click "Replace winner" from the list of winners in the Competition view.
  • Integration with daily/weekly/monthly stats which maps the prize value, number of competitions ended, number of entries, and the number of correct vs incorrect entries.
  • A new option in the Admin CP allows you to publicise the total prize value given away over X period of time.
  • If enabled, you can now display a countdown to the end time of each competition.
  • When creating a competition, you can now specify if you want to require an entrant to include some custom text with their entry. You specify what you want the label of the textarea to be, e.g. "Please write a few words about why you should win" and pick a minimum and maximum length, and the entrant must provide this for their entry to be valid. This is helpful with regards to complying with some EU laws. @DroidOne.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Sure. It can be done a number of ways. The simplest way is using a some CSS inside EXTRA.css.

Actually...

upload_2016-12-12_14-25-51.webp

We do :) I sort of forgot about that. I think it was either added a while ago, or alongside some improvements made by another contributor.

Is there a way to not have a question be required in the competition? We were hoping to do contest-style competitions rather than simply Q&A's, such as writing or image contests.

Clicking on the competitions tab in any members profile and I get

The server responded with an error. The error message is in the JavaScript console.

I think I have a new version to rollout which might fix this.

What version are you running right now?

I'm interested in this add-on, but there's one potential issue.

I'd like to give a non-staff usergroup permission to create competitions. However, we would not want these members to view our full list of usergroups – it's long and would be confusing. We want all registered members to be able to enter every contest, rather than having it set on a per-contest basis. Is that possible? Or does the full list of usergroups always show on the Restrictions & Conditions tab?

I'm interested in this add-on, but there's one potential issue.

I'd like to give a non-staff usergroup permission to create competitions. However, we would not want these members to view our full list of usergroups – it's long and would be confusing. We want all registered members to be able to enter every contest, rather than having it set on a per-contest basis. Is that possible? Or does the full list of usergroups always show on the Restrictions & Conditions tab?
The full list shows. I've got to admit, I hadn't anticipated that you'd want to hide the list of usergroups from the people able to set up competitions. It's not a problem anyone else has raised.

It would be possible to do with some fairly simple template edits, though. Just give me a shout if you decide to go ahead and I'll tell you which template to edit.

One of our advertisers offered up a prize. The competition is not over yet but my advertiser wants to know how its going. How can I see how many have entered thus far? Thanks

Top Bottom