Comments in Posts

Do you want Comments in Posts ?

• Total voters
One way to avoid the problem of comments not alerting the whole thread would be:
Comments are full posts .... but after X days delay, they then display inside the Original post.
So, you're out on a quest to make forums as confusing and unusable as possible? If so, this idea will give you a headstart! You can't be serious about moving posts about automatically after a given time.

moving posts
I said move comments. If someone used the [Post Comment] button ... it would appear as a post for a week ... but then it would end up being displayed in the original post.

or course ... what if someone comments on a comment ... where is that going to go ?

It's hard to please everyone.

That's hairsplitting. Normal users will see a post appear (a comment that looks like a post), and after some time they will not find that post again, be it their own or another person's. They comment, a post appears at the end of the thread, and after a few days (?) it just vanishes and magically reappears someplace else, say, on page 5 of a 37-page thread. As I said: If you're trying to confuse the hell out of your users, this is a sure recipe.

A classic example of how this feature is a joke, is the 'Post your questions for the management here' thread, in the licensed customer feedback forum, across the road and down the gutter.

You see people asking questions & think I would like to see the answers to those, just for the lolz, like.

Now, forgetting the fact that clicking 'new posts' isn't working and just teleports you to any random place in space, the only way to find new posts is to navigate to the last page, a job in itself, then scroll backwards, whilst trying to remember what was the last post you read/when you last looked at the car crash.

Trouble is, you'll never find any answers to any of the questions raised by doing that, because the answers have been posted as comments, so you have to go back to the first page and scroll down all messages & pages until the end to find answers & any replies to those answers.

If the management that introduced this feature to their software don't understand how it could/should work, what hope is there for the average user of forums?

It's frankly beyond a joke, it's a frigging nightmare!

That's hairsplitting. Normal users will see a post appear (a comment that looks like a post), and after some time they will not find that post again, be it their own or another person's. They comment, a post appears at the end of the thread, and after a few days (?) it just vanishes and magically reappears someplace else, say, on page 5 of a 37-page thread. As I said: If you're trying to confuse the hell out of your users, this is a sure recipe.

Could be funny on a druggie based forum, it would keep the weed-smokers & magic mushroom/LSD heads on their toes. ;)

(Off-topic: The first system shown is Discuz!, a decent system aiming at Chinese markets. Not exactly open-source but is still free anyways.

From my understanding the reason why comments to thread were added is because of the misuse of its built-in (yes, built-in) credits system, where users would add only 1 point to the post because they wanted to leave a comment that "stands out", instead of having to make a reply which will not be noticed that much (nobody crawls a thread with tons of pages just to see a comment))

On the fence.

In a classic thread such a feature is not helpful and leads to confusion, so I voted NO. But maybe there are situations when this could be useful, e.g. in announcement forums where normal users are usually not allowed to reply.

BTW. is this not a cutted threaded-view? Or, what is the difference?

It is one of several things that drives me crazy in trying to follow a thread using vB5. I was on the fence with comments but after trying to follow threads over at the other place, it has convinced me against the comment capability.

I'm considering changing my forum to more of a blog style w/ comments. something like this would work.

right now I'm just looking at a making a very minimal postbit for replies.

I'm considering changing my forum to more of a blog style w/ comments. something like this would work.

right now I'm just looking at a making a very minimal postbit for replies.
Well. As is, you have the first post in the thread (= blog post) and all the following posts (= comments on blog post). Why would you need comments on the comments (would be comments on posts)?

Well. As is, you have the first post in the thread (= blog post) and all the following posts (= comments on blog post). Why would you need comments on the comments (would be comments on posts)?

I don't I want to make a very minimal postbit w/ small av for the replies that looks like the sample in the 1st post. I'm perfectly fine w/ just reskinning

I've been using this for as long as I can remember on vb, and it's probably the feature that would be most missed from vb to XF (without the XF addon). It cuts down on so many spammy, OT comments. It's wonderful and probably the second most useful hack I've ever installed on vb.

The biggest problem with Comments is, people use it to Reply, yet you cannot follow the thread of conversation if someone Comments on a post on page 4 of a 27 page thread.

Comments should only be used for Thanks and little stuff. Maybe if it were limited to 140 characters.

I'm not a huge fan of vb5 implementation of comments. It takes too much room and reminds too much of an ordinary reply.

But I really do like the add-on for vb3.
In my experience it works great and really does cut down on those short "I agree" answers.

Never even heard of anyone that has found it confusing or anything.
But yeah, you do get a few answers posted as a comment instead of real reply. Wouldn't say it happens often enough to be a problem though.

Still, I think this is a feature that works as an add-on only. No real need for it in the core software imho.

/SK

Top Bottom