Comments in Posts

Do you want Comments in Posts ?

• Total voters
I wish this is an option in xenforo with the quote system
It just bothers me to see post repeats over and over and maybe this is a solution

To me, comments in posts is more of a "flexible" Like system.
The Comments would be brief, but express more than just: Like.

With 100 times more clutter.

Expand on the like system would be more beneficial to convey a (for example) a joke was funny, you disagreed with something, cheers have a beer = Meet the post ratings

There is a definite tradeoff: clutter vs. flexibility (Likes = inflexible, Comments in posts = cluttered)
I certainly don't like vBulletin's implementation of Comments in Posts.

Maybe Comments in Popup might work.
For the people that want to see it ... they can.
But it's hidden for those that don't want to see the popup.

or .... if the Comments in posts goes over a certain limit (ie. one post has lots of comments) ... the comments in posts transforms into a comments in Popup ?

comments.in.a.popup.webp

The idea of comments in posts I like is .... less thread spamming of short useless comments.
I don't want it to junk things up.
The vBulletin implementation seems to junk things up ... alot.
It is ugly.

I think it would be easy to make a better looking and more functional version of comments in posts.

What about a comment line that appears when you click a comment icon ?
But to reduce clutter, comments are visible in a popup, especially if they exceed a certain number.

View attachment 34643

I kinda like the idea of that.

My only problem with that is comments within the overlay are more likely to be cluttered, unorganized somewhat restrictive. I dunno tbh, I'd need to see an extremely good mockup of the overlay and many comments but yeah that is sounding better plus it rids any potential clutter.

Actually this commenting system wasn't too cluttered ... especially for the information value it offers.
comments.in.posts.vB3.webp
--- see original post.

For the vB5 mockup, requiring [View] to expand the comments box would be a good option.
Especially if the comment count exceeded a certain number.

vBulletin.comments.in.posts.tweak.webp

Regardless of hiding the comments area (box) ... the comments themselves are too large.
I'd want this:
micro.comments.webp
and hovering over the avatar would bring up: Member name, post date & time, Like, Report, etc.

I'm not exactly sold on comments in post. It seems too much like an attempt to integrate Facebook into our site. The benefits Facebook has is that each "post" one generates on their status updates is its own unique thread. The discussions are essentially linear.

Having comments within a post on a forum like XF would only serve to be disruptive.

However, a hybrid approach might work where you actually make a post itself, but it's listed, linked, and viewed like a comment when you quote. That makes far more sense in my opinion.

I'm not exactly sold either. Xenforo prity much got it spot on with the posts and likes. It's simplified, uncluttered and with the introduction of likes it hasn't stopped people making posts (as some people thought it might).

Also, the option is there to expand on the likes with Darkimmortals post ratings which retains the cleanliness and doesn't interrupt and/or cause cluttering the layout as comments would.

it's good to be different, whether that is layout wise, functionality etc but when practicality is thrown out of the window it makes any implementation just to be different redundant. And most of the time, these "I want something different" layouts are totally useless when it comes to any practical use to the member.

I liked one of your mockups DD but i still think the comments thing is overkill as a whole.

28391619.jpg

Seriously though I don't see the point. You're essentially taking a linear view and taking one step to a threaded view, but not far enough to see the benefits of threaded views. At best it will be hidden away so as not to clutter the thread, but its lack of visibility will mean it's rarely used. At worst it would be another thread within a post.

The main problem is what goes in these post comments? Do you limit it in size like a tweet? Even if it's the size of a tweet someone can say something that's worth discussing, where do you go from there? What about replies which may as well be comments? Having multiple ways to respond to a general thread is ultimately confusing.

There are some situations where this works, such as stackoverflow. It works there because the first "post" is a question. Any comments to that question ask for clarification and whatnot. All replies to the question are answers and every comment to an answer asks for clarification, points out flaws, etc. It is a fairly rigid structure, unlike general threads. I'm sure there are other situations where it would work as well, which is why this would be the perfect thing to do with an add-on, but not a feature of XenForo.

I like it. But only in limited cases. Such as support for a product or something. Most the time you get a thread with dozens of replies since your question, it'd be nice to be able to reply directly to the question, rather than at the end and then let people search for their answer only to miss it.

I definitely don't see Comments in Posts as a core feature. It's definitely best done as an addon.

There are some situations where this works, such as stackoverflow. It works there because the first "post" is a question. Any comments to that question ask for clarification and whatnot. All replies to the question are answers and every comment to an answer asks for clarification, points out flaws, etc. It is a fairly rigid structure, unlike general threads. I'm sure there are other situations where it would work as well, which is why this would be the perfect thing to do with an add-on, but not a feature of XenForo.
I love stackoverflow.
and I love structure.

General threads are suboptimal data structures, unless a thread is about mindless chatter.

I am also bringing up this topic as vBulletin 5 has it as a CORE feature.
A very prominent CORE feature. I think this thread highlights most people don't really want Comments in Posts as a prominent feature.

Top Bottom