Comments in Posts

Do you want Comments in Posts ?

• Total voters
This would be a great for some forums. (y)

I would like to see this feature with a "enable/disable in certain nodes"

and a wide forum "disable" for forum admins that don't want to use it.

@Luke Foreman your idea in Post Ratings add on is very good. but sadly, it is not trigger Like function of Xenforo. It will be better if you may combine it to Like Function as in Xenforo. When user hits Positive rate then it will trigger the default Like Function.

The designated 'like rating' uses the default XF like functionality

interesting... I saw that add-on several days ago but it didn't make sense from the photos.

I wasn't sure exactly what it did. I didn't know he had a website.

One thing that is really confusing is that it says "reply" on both comments and even thread reply He should really think of changing both phrases. Even in live testing it was confusing. He should change it to "Reply to Post" and "Reply to Thread" So i can know the difference between the both.

I just made my own thread, it still has some glitches. But it looks promising.

https://yoskaldyr.eu/entries/hello-i-am-joey.3/

At the moment i am using *******'s Comment Each Post. I like it better.

I love comments in posts add-ons. (y)

I love the concept but it shouldn't be comments but regular messages. It allows so much more than just messages and quotes

I hate the concept with a passion. BUT.. at the same time it has been proven very useful on Reddit AMA threads. So its a matter of application. I would like to have a AMA forum node or two with post comments.

Really? You want to have messages, on messages, in messages? So you're commenting on a message which is commenting on the main thread...

XenForo Devs: Can we get a brain dead emote?

I second Chris, I hate the idea. Well, I know it's definitely not something that'll make it into XF.

You want to have messages, on messages, in messages?
I think its expressed wrong. Comments under posts can be useful. Not in posts.

I think post comments are only useful in the specific case of an AMA and executed similar to AMA. AMA in contrast to normal discussions. In a discussion each reply is a continuation of the same topic. In an AMA each post is essentially like a new thread, with post comments being the replies. Basically it's having multiple discussion threads on the same page.
An AMA only works well if there is a live refresh of posts.

An AMA is valuable / successful as it can clearly attract a lot of activity and celebrities. Reddit's AMA includes loads of celebrities including Barack Obama. Every forum niche has its own celebrities, so AMA can be useful in this regard.

Likely there is a better more structured way than post comments to create AMA pages. But it needs to include an introduction and a number of 'questions' and their comments all on the same page, so that the interviewee can swiftly answer any question or comment put forward.

But I doubt such functionality is good for the core. Would be a good addon.

I think its expressed wrong. Comments under posts can be useful. Not in posts.

I think post comments are only useful in the specific case of an AMA and executed similar to AMA. AMA in contrast to normal discussions. In a discussion each reply is a continuation of the same topic. In an AMA each post is essentially like a new thread, with post comments being the replies. Basically it's having multiple discussion threads on the same page.
An AMA only works well if there is a live refresh of posts.

An AMA is valuable / successful as it can clearly attract a lot of activity and celebrities. Reddit's AMA includes loads of celebrities including Barack Obama. Every forum niche has its own celebrities, so AMA can be useful in this regard.

Likely there is a better more structured way than post comments to create AMA pages. But it needs to include an introduction and a number of 'questions' and their comments all on the same page, so that the interviewee can swiftly answer any question or comment put forward.
I suppose in the context of an AMA it could be useful. I believe you're trying to give me an example of reddit here. It's useful if you want to do something like that, I suppose, but in the traditional sense of replying to posts, it's dumb.

I may create an AMA add-on in the future. I always liked AMAs so that'd be fun. Live updates and all that fancy stuff.

Yes, for normal forum discussion I hate the concept with a passion. AMA and profile posts are the only useful places to use post comments.

No every reply to that post ... appears under that post, not at the end.
Right so, defying thread order?

This'd be really bad for XenForo not only because of how bad the idea sounds (other than for an AMA which should use an entirely different application tbh), it's uselessness in functionality and also the technical aspect. Posts are shown using post_position I think, and you're going to want to adjust posts all around it just to add one more post in a certain place. Sounds great...

Oh, explain to me what's wrong with the current quotations system? Is quoting not enough? It's a thread, everything in the thread is a reply to the thread. It's a 'comment' to what the thread author wrote. Anything off topic should be a new thread, in other words a new 'discussion' (alternative word for thread, in this context). That's why the inline moderation multiple post split into a new thread feature exists... *whistles*

Top Bottom