Comment addon for non XF pages

MGSteve

Just out of interest, is there an 'addon' (in the loosest sense as its not really an addon into XF) that enables you to embed comment style functionality into non XF pages?

Think about any number of websites these days that enable comments on news items - say, Yahoo!, Engadget etc.. It would be great if you could link a story to a thread and then the posts from that thread are used as the comments section below the news item.

Make sense?

Yeah it kind of does make sense.

This is what we did though, instead.

www.valvetime.net

So the home page is XenPorta and this pulls news stories from our news forum and articles from our articles forum.

We then restyled the threads that appear in this forum differently to make them look like more traditional news stories with comments instead of normal forum thread with posts.

You can see one such news story here: http://www.valvetime.net/threads/pu...kshop-built-into-portal-2-game-client.187198/

I know that isn't exactly what you've asked for, but it works well for us and made use of existing add ons only :)

Just out of interest, is there an 'addon' (in the loosest sense as its not really an addon into XF) that enables you to embed comment style functionality into non XF pages?

Think about any number of websites these days that enable comments on news items - say, Yahoo!, Engadget etc.. It would be great if you could link a story to a thread and then the posts from that thread are used as the comments section below the news item.

Make sense?

An alternative to the above is to work through Wordpress. If you're willing to make your article pages within Wordpress then you can use a plugin like my one (shameless plug - here) to sync the comments on the WP article with the XF thread.

Yeah, I thought of facebook comments, but at the moment articles link to forum threads, it just made sense to put the comments on the article page as well.

Can't use Wordpress as we have our own CMS, but nice idea.

www.valvetime.net

So the home page is XenPorta and this pulls news stories from our news forum and articles from our articles forum.

We then restyled the threads that appear in this forum differently to make them look like more traditional news stories with comments instead of normal forum thread with posts.

Great site.
I loved the use of [Show full quote] and [Show Spoiler] on the XenPorta homepage.
going through the pages was a bit slow, but not too bad.
Do you think article categories would be helpful for you ?
Would people use them ?

Like I said before, great site.

IDEA ?
If all the articles for your XenPorta HomePage are from one forum .... (which I think they are) ...
You could use Jake's Nodes as Tabs to highlight an Articles Tab. As it is now, when you click on an article, the FORUMS tab highlights.
Not sure this works, but I think it should.
It's a good idea, I'll throw it into the mix of our ideas thread.

Thanks.

The quotes thing is an add-on. It's my Quote Collapse add-on that you can find in the Resource Manager. The spoiler tags are just the default ones that came with BBCode Manager.

We use the default XenPorta category system

http://www.valvetime.net/articles/steam/
You should also remove the border from the Sign up button, it looks absolutely horrible (sorry for the strong words) in Chrome:
signup.webp

You can do it via style properties, Buttons -> Sign-up Now Button Container, or in the siderbar.css (#SignupButton).

You should also remove the border from the Sign up button, it looks absolutely horrible (sorry for the strong words) in Chrome:
View attachment 32712

You can do it via style properties, Buttons -> Sign-up Now Button Container, or in the siderbar.css (#SignupButton).
I should visit my own site as a guest more often. It shouldn't even be that - it should contain the sidebar login form like the forum index does.

That button inherits the CSS from the sidebar button, so my guess that both are similar, unless you have specified the sidebar one in extra.css or something...

EDIT:
Indeed it does, I could not find another instance of the button without the border...

We have something entirely different on the forum home page, and this is how it should be on the main home page too:

sidebar_login.webp

I saw that, but my screenshot is actually directly from the link you submitted above. It is the same at the homepage as well. I would switch it up, I would have the login form on the home page and just the button at other pages, to reduce visual noise on content pages.

Top Bottom