Coming from IP.Board

Alexander Ahlsen

Hey!
I'm currently on a IP.Board forum and i'm looking for a new forum script.
  • I'm using IP.Gallery and IP.Downloads as a huge part of my site. What can I use to replace this? Is the resource manager a plugin I can download and use or is there any other good things for this?
  • I usually post news in the forum and show them on the front-page via a portal plugin. But I want to use wordpress. Is there a good bridge for this?
  • Can you send newsletters?
  • Custom profile design with bg etc?
Thanks for the help :)

Hey!
  • I'm using IP.Gallery and IP.Downloads as a huge part of my site. What can I use to replace this? Is the resource manager a plugin I can download and use or is there any other good things for this?
  • I usually post news in the forum and show them on the front-page via a portal plugin. But I want to use wordpress. Is there a good bridge for this?

The resource manager isn't available yet, but will be soon*. There is a simple gallery addon, but afaik no importer for it yet.

There are several wordpress bridges available. You would have to see which fits your requirements best.

To send newletters, ACP -> Users -> Email Users

Custom designs are doable :)

*Copyright 2010-2012 XenForo Ltd. All rights reserved. "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between XenForo Ltd and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, XenForo does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as XenForo will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."

XenForo won't be a direct replacement for IPB if your community relies heavily on IP.Gallery or IP.Downloads, as those are not features in the core XenForo product. The resource manager looks promising, but no-one knows when it will be released.

I used User Albums as a replacement for IP.Gallery - but there's no import so I had to manually move people's images over to XF.

There's currently no replacement for IP.Downloads so I used a forum and manually added files to posts (after adding lots of file types to the allowed list in XF).

That being said, we didn't rely heavily on them so you'll have to weigh-up how important they are in terms of your own site and whether it would be worth the work to have the gains of XF.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Ok, so you think I should stay on IPB?

As along as there is no replacement for IP.Gallery and IPDownloads, you don't have much of a choice.

I used User Albums as a replacement for IP.Gallery - but there's no import so I had to manually move people's images over to XF.

If you want to move more than 30000 images manually, this will get very time consuming. And I am not planing on jumping on any gallery addon, just because it is there. I hate to say it but the user albums gallery is not equivalent to IP.Gallery

Hey!

The xenforo resource manager will not be able to port over your existing downloads. It won't allow xenforo users to import existing downloads/resources so I don't think there's any hope of this if you choose to migrate from IPB

There is a modification for a partial ability to custom design the profile header area but that's it as far as I know there's no option built in for users with regards to a frontend basis to customize their profiles.

I just don't like how they treat customers and no one helps you at the forum. Ever plugin also cost money
IMO that's the wrong way to be looking at it. You should be thinking in the best interest of your members, not yourself. For example I didn't switch from vB/IB because of how crappy a company they are, I switched because I was tired of their inferior product. I'd looked at what it would take to get vB to where I wanted it and found it to be to much. Thankfully XF had majority of the requested items built-in.

Alexander only you can decide what forum platform best suits your needs. If your community is heavily reliant on the gallery and downloads as you suggest I doubt Xenforo is the best solution. However if the question was different, say, "Gallery and downloads aside, what is the best forum platform?" I'd say Xenforo without a doubt. It is slick, quick and it "just works" - an analogy would be it's the Apple Mac of forum packages. IPB would be a PC. And vBulletin would be a Commodore 64.

I have a number of my old clients who would love to convert to XF from IPS, but as they are reliant on the Gallery and Downloads this is not possible.

If the Gallery and or any other Official Add on is a key part of your forum, sticking with IPS is your only option, there is nothing even close to that fully integrated Gallery and Download Add On, nor the other Official Add on IPS offer.

Top Bottom