Coming from IP.Board

Alexander Ahlsen

Hey!
I'm currently on a IP.Board forum and i'm looking for a new forum script.
  • I'm using IP.Gallery and IP.Downloads as a huge part of my site. What can I use to replace this? Is the resource manager a plugin I can download and use or is there any other good things for this?
  • I usually post news in the forum and show them on the front-page via a portal plugin. But I want to use wordpress. Is there a good bridge for this?
  • Can you send newsletters?
  • Custom profile design with bg etc?
Thanks for the help :)

Hey!
I'm currently on a IP.Board forum and i'm looking for a new forum script.
  • I'm using IP.Gallery and IP.Downloads as a huge part of my site. What can I use to replace this? Is the resource manager a plugin I can download and use or is there any other good things for this?
  • I usually post news in the forum and show them on the front-page via a portal plugin. But I want to use wordpress. Is there a good bridge for this?
  • Can you send newsletters?
  • Custom profile design with bg etc?
Thanks for the help :)

I can relate to you. I switched to XenForo just a few days ago from IP.Board, and couldn't be happier. There is an alternative to IP.Gallery, but is not so feature rich. The resource manager is not yet available from what I've seen, but hopefully it will be.

There are plenty of bridges for wordpress, I'm sure someone could help you find one.

There is a way to send newsletters, and it's very simple as well.

I don't exactly know what you mean by custom profile design, so can't help you there!

As far as the conversion (import) goes, the only thing I seem to have lost is the warnings of members, which is a small price to pay for such a greater forum software. ;)

We run both Xenforo and IPB (with every ipb addon), they're two different platforms with two different uses. I wouldn't say one is better than the other though. Xenforo has proven to be great for our communities that are mainly driven by the forums and user discussion. IPB on the other hand is great for content creation, commerce, and bridging a community into everything. IPB has even mentioned that they're going to be moving away from IP.Board as the central product and making it an addon to a new 'core'. Choose what's best for your specific community and don't just jump because something is new and shiny.

IPB has even mentioned that they're going to be moving away from IP.Board as the central product and making it an addon to a new 'core'. Choose what's best for your specific community and don't just jump because something is new and shiny.

Can you explain further, not sure what you mean?

At the moment the whole suite of IPS is built around the board. For a future release (perhaps 4.o or later, no official comment on version) they plan to offer a core for which you can choose your applications you need. So you only need to buy the core and choose the applications (of course at additionally cost) you are going to run with it. So you could choose Calendar and Content but not necessarily the board.

I just don't like how they treat customers and no one helps you at the forum. Ever plugin also cost money

I can completely sympathise from 1st hand experince.

My community has used the following
  • phpBB
  • phpBB /w Word Press
  • vBulletin
  • vBulletin / Word Press
  • vBulletin Suite
  • XenForo
  • SMF
  • IPB
  • IPB Suite
  • vBulletin Suite
  • XenForo
In that order (I belive)

And I have to tell you that IPB used the most resources (even their system requirements are more) than everything I had tried, had the lowest SEO rating, least user-friendly, support was mostly none existent, treated their customers like sh*t (speaking from experience), and everything that was released .... From photos, skins, mods, edits, templates, icons, smilies, ect..... ect.... Everything costed.

Do not walk away... RUN. That is my opinion.

I would suggest XenForo 1st because it uses the least resources, has the highest SEO rating, very user-friendly, support is quick - friendly - respectful, treats their customers well, and there is an even amount of pain and free resources.

The community here is also a good bonus you can count on. You saw that in this thread alone. People were more concerned with trying to find what you needed, rather than trying to force or push you into something (open-minded).

Resource Manager will be out soon, but at this moment no one knows if an importer will be developed. It's possible that someone could make a 3rd party importer, as they did for vBulletin 4. But from the general use of it so far, it would be comparable to IP Downloads (in my opinion).

There are two free image gallery modifications out. Both of them free. Not exactly comparable to IP Gallery, but acceptable and easy to use. Development is on going though.

Now if you must have a complete suite, I would suggest vBulletin. It would be the closest toward IPB. That would be the 2nd place runner-up, with XF being 1st.

Top Bottom