CometChat [Deleted]

I am trying to set up a system that allows us to host online conferences in our forum, with the ability to put users into different categories, such as admin, guest, and a regular participant. We need it to send alerts in the forum so people know of new posts, and the ability to close the room upon the end of the session. Maybe we set up a separate room for lurkers to chat amongst themselves.

Can you do all that? It's not at all clear from your information.

Tried to install the XML file and i get this error

Code:
Server Error
mysqli_connect(): (HY000/1045): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO)

[LIST=1]
[*]XenForo_Application::handlePhpError()
[*]mysqli_connect() in /home/gunchester/public_html/cometchat/cometchat_shared.php at line 111
[*]cometchatDBConnect() in /home/gunchester/public_html/cometchat/cometchat_init.php at line 155
[*]include_once() in /home/gunchester/public_html/cometchat/install.php at line 56
[*]include_once() in CometChat/Installer.php at line 7
[*]CometChat_Installer::ccInstall()
[*]call_user_func() in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 215
[*]XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXml() in XenForo/Model/AddOn.php at line 169
[*]XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXmlFromFile() in AddOnInstaller/ControllerAdmin/AddOn.php at line 36
[*]AddOnInstaller_ControllerAdmin_AddOn->actionInstallUpgrade() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 351
[*]XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 134
[*]XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/gunchester/public_html/admin.php at line 13
[/LIST]

Yet i saw no instructiosn to input database infor on the documentation

Does this eat bandwidth from site? Or does it actually rely on Comet Chat servers to handle all of the throughput? I ask because I was looking for a shoutbox solution for our site, but so far all but Siropu's eat bandwidth like its going out of style.

I used to use cometchat on my Xenforo forum, it worked ok, but had it's problems and that's likely because it's more of a bridge than a real xenforo add on. Not all avatar images would display, it added a overhead to the server, because it's on every page refreshing all the time (Unless you pay to offload it to cometchat servers).

I personally removed it and i think they should work on making a much better version that's better tied into forums permissions/settings and user groups.
I use cometchat professional and I agree that it worked OK. From time to time I had some cache issues. My users complained that the chat dialog is not refreshing properly which means sometimes the last two lines of the chat dialog were missing. Support was very helpful and fixed the problem.
However, as @Carla Birch mentioned, I also have some concerns.
  1. XF permissions are missing, so you can't fine tune who can use the chat. To be honest, I would expect this for a $ 129 addon.
  2. Server overhead due to permanent AJAX refresh of the chatbox. I have a very powerful server at the moment so this is no killer issue for me. But what if my user number increases? Maybe node.js could do the same thing more efficiently
  3. The price - OK it was my decision to use professional version ($ 129) and not basic version for my users. Two weeks ago I logged into my customer account and downloaded a current professional version. But after this update the chat on ipads does not work any more (it worked with the elder version). I opened a support ticket and received a reply that my license expired which means I have to pay another $ 64 for a license refresh so that my issue can be fixed by the support stuff. $ 129 + $ 64 = $ 193 - Xenforo is $ 140. As far as I can see there is a wrong redirect in the package when an ipad is detected or one of the folders is missing. This is a little bit annoying.
Alltogether: too many issues for an addon in this price range. I will switch to another chat addon as soon as it is available.

I use it and its OK.
The support is high and they help until the problem be solved. but some problems didn,t let me upgrade it to professional or premium or platinum.
  • I reported lots of problems and bugs and they solved all of them. But each time a new version comes, I should ask them redo them all. They are bugs, not my personal needs. So expected to be solved in next updates. Each time I update, I should disable it for a week until they solve them again. (more features in platinum, so more bugs, so more time to lose in each update)
  • The upgrade process takes more time than installing the whole xenforo and is more complicated. If it is an add-on, so why not be able to easily upgrade it by replacing files and importing xml? Each time we update it, we should redo all our custom changes. It takes one or two days itself.
  • Speed. I have a really powerful server that we do online courses with adobe connect with lots of users online without any problem (with just half of its resources) but this little chat system seems to have more pressure on server than a full option online classroom. Need to be more optimized.
  • Although I may upgrade it to platinum and purchase its mobile app, but it is expected that basic users be able to chat in mobile version of their xf too. 49$ for an add-on that can't be used while visiting with mobile?
Hope to see some changes, so that we be encouraged to continue using it and of course upgrading it to next editions.

Hi Dadparvar,

Thank you for your feedback. We are working on improving our XenForo offering further and will keep you informed.

Regards
Robert

If you have already done so, please share the ticket number so I can escalate the issue.
I've already opened a ticket ID = 574262874-133572
@CometChat Team

I've downloaded 5.6.3 professional version. Folder /extensions/mobilewebapp is missing in your ZIP. Actually I do not need support, but a complete ZIP file. Thank you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom