Combining Addons

DRE

If I combine addons that almost never get updated, I reduce the addon count on my site. Will that ease the strain a little?

What strain? There isn't any strain.

You're on a VPS with 3 other pretty active sites and the server is coping fine and so is the rest of the sites.

Probably not, as the database queries will still be needed.

Why not try removing some of the less popular / used add-ons first? Do you honestly use and need more than 100 add-ons installed?

Why not try removing some of the less popular / used add-ons first? Do you honestly use and need more than 100 add-ons installed?
That's the thing. He doesn't have that many, and even when he did, although it caused issues on some hosts, it didn't cause issues at all on the VPS he's on now.

I think his last count was in the 70s.

But even so, Matt is right. You'd still have the queries.

I

Heck yeah. Not running that many tho. lol.

What strain? There isn't any strain.

You're on a VPS with 3 other pretty active sites and the server is coping fine and so is the rest of the sites.
I know. TMS is just really slow, which makes me think there's a strain, plus someone told me the site's a little slower so I'm just removing more stuff.

I know. TMS is just really slow, which makes me think there's a strain, plus someone told me the site's a little slower so I'm just removing more stuff.
That's a known issue with TMS when you have a large number of modifications.

You can turn off the "Careful Rebuild" option, but it will mean that you'd have to do a manual rebuild when you make changes (I think). But that's only an issue for us now that 1.1.4 has the white screen of death sorted. So the idea would be you make a load of changes then manually kick off the rebuild when you're done, I think.

That's a known issue with TMS when you have a large number of modifications.

You can turn off the "Careful Rebuild" option, but it will mean that you'd have to do a manual rebuild when you make changes (I think). But that's only an issue for us now that 1.1.4 has the white screen of death sorted. So the idea would be you make a load of changes then manually kick off the rebuild when you're done, I think.
Site goes blank when I do it that way =/

I've decided to edit the site's code directly and keeping a record of the changes in a private thread so that I can know what to do after an upgrade.

In other words, I have been reducing the amount of addons installed by changing what the addon changes by directly editing the code itself.

Top Bottom