Code documentation?

There isn't anything official at this time. When XenForo first came out, I was lost when it came to MVC. Mike advised me to go through the code, and that is what I did. I had a ton of questions and both Mike and Kier where very helpful in answering, or guiding me. Today there is a lot of tutorials available that you may want to read first, both official and unofficial. Finding a specific class is fairly easy, only because of how XF is structured. Each class is well documented within the file.

For example:

Loading of data is handled by a model. If you want to look at what is available for users then it's: library/XenForo/Model/User.php
Controllers handle the action. There are public, admin, response, and helper controllers. Members adjusting their account info (this is public), will be done here: library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Account.php. Thread controller: library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Thread.php

If you take a look at the controller file for Thread (just as an example), you should be able to tell exactly where each model, or view, is located as they follow the XenForo/Xxxxxxx/Xxxxxx structure.

This basic tutorial should help: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/creating-an-addon.5416/ I wrote it when I was still learning MVC, and made some changes as I learned more.

I hope this helps in the meantime.

Even a simple PHPDocumenter API type page would be extremely welcome to me. I have a fairly adequate knowledge of PHP, but have never used Zend or any of XF's internal classes.

I have been able to learn PHP from scratch just by looking at the existing XenForo code.

No documentation required.

The best documentation is right there.

True, but we don't all have hours of free time. Provided the code is commented correctly, running PHPDocumentor would only take a couple of minutes and would be extremely helpful. Many other projects use it to provide a basic overview of the classes (such as PyrCMS, Laravel, possibly even Zend Framework). Heck, I might just try running it my self so I can have a class reference to refer to and post a link up for people to use.

Fair enough, just had a look at it for a quick five minutes and it seems most of the core has PHPDocuemntor tags where required. I'll generate the docs my self for personal use.

Top Bottom